Unanswered: No of Columns in a select clause

All,

I have exexuted a select statement which is having more than 2500 columns,But i got the error message.

The transaction was aborted because it used too much stack space. Either use sp_configure to increase the stack size, or break the query into smaller pieces. spid: 225, suid: 790, hostname: X3RWTYR, application name: SQL_Advantage

Provided Answers: 4
    2500 columns is an awful lot...
    How many tables are you joining? Or is it one single table?
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!

Actually, i am doing it for testing purpose to know the maximum no of columns in a single select statement.

So what i did was i have created a sequence of number in an excel sheet and used in my query.

say for example,

select 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,..... ......<some number>

when i took 2000, the query worked fine.

Simply , i did this R&D to know the usage of maximum no of columns in a single select clause.

I am using sybase 12.0 version.

Provided Answers: 4
    There is a difference between the limits of ASE and the limits of your system. I do not know for sure if there is a maximum amount of columns you can specify in a query, although there is such a limit in how many columns a table can have.

Taken in account you're trying to select 2500 columns, I think it's a resource-issue. There just isn't enough memory allocated for ASE, or there isn't enough memory in your system. Anyhow, 2500 columns is very, very much for a single selectstatement, so I'd rather try to rewrite it in smaller queries than to boost or tune your system so it can handle this amount of columns.
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!

Quote Originally Posted by karthi_syb
    All,

I have exexuted a select statement which is having more than 2500 columns,But i got the error message.

The transaction was aborted because it used too much stack space. Either use sp_configure to increase the stack size, or break the query into smaller pieces. spid: 225, suid: 790, hostname: X3RWTYR, application name: SQL_Advantage
    1. The max no of columns you can have is 1024 per table.
    2. Sum of column size cannot exceed page size

Look for 'create table' in the Reference Manual in http://sybooks.sybase.com

Having said the above, Im just curious why you are after this.

a) You are just curious and just want to know.
    b) You really have a requirement.

If its a), you really need to use your time learning Sybase better.
    If its b), you really should be joking.

trvishi,

I just wanted to know, so i go for option 1. But As you said, i already saw that a table can have maximum 1024 columns.

But My question is how many columns can appear in a single select statement ?

Thanks for your answer.