Unanswered: SQL server multiple instances

Hi all,
    I have SQL server 2000 and 2005 instances on the same server. The default instance is 2000 and we connect to the 2005 instance using the port number.We moved the databases on 2000 to 2005 and have stopped the 2000 instance.

How do we make the 2005 the default instance?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I haven't had to do this myself for the exact situation you have but try a look at the following:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...1(SQL.80).aspx

You could probably un-install the 2000 instance and then use the method above to re-name the 2005 instance. Make sure you have backups of course in case it goes sideways... :-)

An additional note though, as I have not done that before you should be prepared to re-install SQL if it does not work. That is the only way for sure that it will work.

Good luck
    Last edited by DBAH; 06-25-08 at 11:17.

Thanks..
    I cannot un install the SQL 2000, as the user requested to retain it just in case. I have stopped the SQL 2000 service as of now. Is there a way that we could swap the default connection information.
    I would like to retain the SQL 2000 but make the 2005 as my primary server.

Hi,

I don't think you will be able to easily do what you are trying to do and since it sounds like a production server I would go the safe route by backing everything up, un-installing both instances, re-installing them the way you want and then restoring from your backup.
    If you had a machine to test it with use the info from the previously referenced article along with:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174411.aspx
    In the end it will probably take more time than just re-installing...

Hope this helps...

Provided Answers: 11
    Is there any reason you want to rename the instance? There are certainly no performance penalties associated with a named instance.

If you can part with an idea of keeping your 2K instance, I would perform an in-place upgrade of your 2K, and move your prod database back to your default instance. Then you can uninstall your named instance of 2K5.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."