Question Unanswered: Imorting data from an old Database.

So recently is switched server hosts so that i could get php support for a new forum. I want to get all the old data for the old sql database. How do i go about doing that? I know that the database is stored under a folder called BIN and the database is a .dll . I am kindof a newb when it comes to sql databases. If anyone could help out that would be great. Thanks.

Provided Answers: 6
    can you get a backup?

is the old database and the new one a sql server database?

i do not think your db is a dll.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

hmm i just made a backup of the entire site and i dont really know where the old SQL DB is stored. I thought it was the admin.dll. The information i need to get is from an old coldfusion forum. I am looking and looking but still nothing. Where might this information reside. I know that my website has an Access database and it stores like names and phone numbers and addresses, products and transactions but not email. I don't think that this database correlates to the forum in anyway. It might, but i am not sure.
    Last edited by llamaX0r; 06-26-08 at 13:24.

You want to look for a file with a .mdf or .bak extension if you were using sql server. if you find it, hit us back and we can talk.

I will be profoundly insulted if MO does not stop by the Corral to say hi. I will beat Bruce if he gets out of line this time.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

If you only backed up the site, it's possible that it wasn't there. It could be just using a data connector and the actually access db is somewhere else. You could try looking at the source code of some of your html or asp files that accessed the data to see if you can figure out the connection from there. But Sean is right, it would have an mdf, mdb, mde, or bak extention if for some reason it was being stored in the same place as the actual site was stored. Usually, this is not the case as you only want the data connection and not the actual files on the site itself.
    Last edited by Liebling; 06-26-08 at 14:08.
    "Passion rebuilds the world for the youth. It makes all things alive and significant. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well i backed up what was on my entire ftp. I do have a mdb file under a folder called DB. i can open up in access but i cant get the information i need from it. It just shows like transactions and inventory all the stuff relating to my store. The information i need was part of and old coldfusion forum. I am trying to make a emailing list for a party that we are having.

Is it possible that the database was stored on a MySQL or PHPSql database?

My suggestion would be to look at the source code for the pages that were accessing the information. Decoding that is probably your best bet into figuring out where the data is stored. In the past, I even have seen a coldfusion page that stored entered data into a text file. It just depends, Coldfusion has always been very flexible on data storage.
    "Passion rebuilds the world for the youth. It makes all things alive and significant. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

ok I have just talked to my sever host ans they sent me the sql file. Its called "windance.bak" Now what do i open it up with to get the data that i need?

You will need a MS SQL Server install to be able to restore the database. And you need to know if it's MS SQL 7, 2000 or 2005, and then install the correct version of MS SQL to be able to restore the information.

My suggestion is that you hire a consultant, as you will need some understanding on databases and how that database is structured in order to extract data from the restore. More consulting than you could get from a database forum, since you can't really post entire tables and structures here.

The file is a MS SQL 2000 Database

how about the edition? if it is MSDE, you might still be able to get a free download, but MO is right, you are probably going to need more help than any one here has the patience to render.