Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I'm not a developer. :D

No programming know-how, never wrote a single line of script. And now I'm trying to make a database on MS Access 2003.

How silly is that? =p

access is easy. read a book about Access or database design, and you will be OK.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

thanks! I'm looking around for references. Its actually fun to use, I'm confused for more than half the time, but its redeeming to actually see some things work after putting in effort.

...maybe I shouldn't have set mid-august as a deadline. ROFL.

which year?
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

it's funny they asked for a level of effort when you had no idea. that's OK if you get serious about this part of the initiation is not sleeping for the first 5 years or so.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

The Wizards in MS Access should get you started creating your database and understanding how databases work. Soon, though, you will want to move away from relying on the Wizards.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Haha, thanks for the heads up. Hope you guys don't think that my people aren't sadists

Simply put, nobody around here knows better. I took on the responsibility myself since I don't see how I can justify delegating the task to anyone else here, when they have the same or even less familiarity with the task as I do.

And yep, the wizards are an excellent help. Though I find myself very inclined to use the design views. I'm a little oriented with tables now and have also made a few queries and done some table-to-query tables. I'm now editing those auto-forms to see what other functions I can have.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat
    I'm not a developer.
    Yeah right you aren't. Maybe you didn't realize it when you started this thread, but you're already way past the event horizion and plumeting toward full blown developer-hood!

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Yeah right you aren't. Maybe you didn't realize it when you started this thread, but you're already way past the event horizion and plumeting toward full blown developer-hood!

-PatP
    Your so encouraging Pat, well shoot I think I'm going to give programming a try myself. I really want to learn, its kinda intimidating I guess

desi,

you will be fine. you are evidently a hard worker because you have been doing whatever you do to hang around here long enough that I recognize you and you studied all of that MCITP stuff and I am so lazy I have not even gotten around to doing that. See you are already more qualified in SS2k5 than stupid old lazy me. of course I keep dreaming of quiting and becoming an outlaw or a revolutionary. did I post that? oh well no security clearance for another 7 years.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    desi,

you will be fine. you are evidently a hard worker because you have been doing whatever you do to hang around here long enough that I recognize you and you studied all of that MCITP stuff and I am so lazy I have not even gotten around to doing that. See you are already more qualified in SS2k5 than stupid old lazy me. of course I keep dreaming of quiting and becoming an outlaw or a revolutionary. did I post that? oh well no security clearance for another 7 years.
    Thanks Thrasy I appreciate it, I do think that having some programming under my belt would defintely be benefiicial. I have to admit I have learned allot of you guys

you guys lost me at MCITP and SS. O_o'

Haha, but its all good, I do realize that in one way or another, the mere fact that I'm creating a DB (back to front end -that is one odd way to put it) actually does make me a developer on a certain unofficial level. Of course, I'm often reminded of the fact a lot of the basic stuff that comes second nature to the folks here are totally foreign to me. Its the fact that I come from a background with zero programming knowledge that makes me feel like a square peg trying to jam my way into a round hole.

Still I must say that this previous week, a lot of peeps here have really made me feel welcome and encouraged me to take my time to learn and appreciate being able to work something on the back end. =D

That's a good thing. DBForums is supposed to be a good place to come when you want help solving real world problems.

We (as a community) tend to be rather caustic, bordering on vicious to the students coming here trying to get us to do their homework for them, and I'm probably one of the worst... Kids that will not learn even when someone is trying to educate them annoy me more than just about anything on earth. Learning is important to me, and a near constant thrill, so the idea of squandering the opportunity to learn annoys me immensely.

For pretty much the rest of the universe, from businessmen to volunteers to people just curious about databases/applications/etc we are usually pretty friendly, and we try to encourage folks to both feel at home and to push a bit beyond their comfort zones so that they can learn.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    ... of course I keep dreaming of quiting and becoming an outlaw or a revolutionary. did I post that?
    *swoon*

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Robbins 'Still Life With Woodpecker'
    "All people who live subject to other people's laws are victims. People who break laws out of greed, frustration, or vengeance are victims. People who overturn laws in order to replace them with their own laws are victims. (I am speaking here of revolutionaries.) We outlaws, however, live beyond the law. We don't merely live beyond the letter of the law--many businessmen, most politicians, and all cops do that--we live beyond the spirit of the law. In a sense, then, we live beyond society. Have we a common goal, that goal is to turn the tables on the nature of society. When we succeed, we raise the exhilaration content of the universe. We even raise it a little bit when we fail."

"I love the magic of TNT. How eloquently it speaks! Its resounding rumble, its clap, its quack is scarely less deep than the passionate moan of the Earth herself. A well-timed series of detonations is like a choir of quakes. For all its fluent resonance, a bomb says only one word--'Surprise!'-- and then applauds itself. I love the hot hands of explosion. I love a breeze perfumed with the devil smell of powder (so close in its effect to the angel smell of sex). I love the way that architechture, under the impetus of dynamite, shedding bricks like feathers, corners melting, grim facades breaking into grins, supports shrugging and calling it a day, tons of totalitarian dreck washing away in the wake of a circular tsunami of air. I love that precious portion of a second when window glass becomes elastic and bulges out like bubble gum before popping. I love public buildings made public at last, doors flung open to the citizens, to the creatures, to the universe. Baby, come on in! And I love the final snuff of smoke."

"Yes, and I love the trite mythos of the outlaw. I love the self-conscious romanticism of the outlaw. I love the black wardrobe of the outlaw. I love the fey smile of the outlaw. I love the tequila of the outlaw and the beans of the outlaw. I love the way respectable men sneer and say 'outlaw.' I love the way young women palpitate and say 'outlaw.' The outlaw boat sails against the flow, and I love it. Outlaws toilet where badgers toilet, and I love it. All outlaws are photogenic, and I love that. 'When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will be free': that's a graffito seen in Anacortes, and I love that. There are outlaw maps that lead to outlaw treasures, and I love those maps especially. Unwilling to wait for mankind to improve, the outlaw lives as if that day were here, and I love that most of all."

"Victim? Your letter reminded the Woodpecker that he is a Woodpecker blessed. Your sympathies for my loneliness, tension, and disturbing fluctuations in indentity have some basis in fact and are humbly appreciated. But do not be misled. I am the happiest man in America. In my bartender's pockets I still carry, out of habit, wooden matches. As long as there are fuses, no walls are safe. As long as every wall is threatened, the world can happen. Outlaws are can openers in the supermarket of life."
    Sean... you seriously have got to stop doing that.
    "Passion rebuilds the world for the youth. It makes all things alive and significant. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by desireemm
    Your so encouraging Pat, well shoot I think I'm going to give programming a try myself. I really want to learn, its kinda intimidating I guess
    Just remember than when writing programs, you are basically writing instructions for the fastest, dumbest class of morons on Earth. Computers are capable of doing amazing things, IF you can figure out simple, unequivical ways to describe how to do those things.

Think of programming like you would writing instructions that your manager on speed will execute for how to do a job... No experience, no common sense, blazing speed, but does only what you explicitly say to do.

I know you Desi, you'll do fine!

-PatP