Unanswered: Cannot Connect Sqlserver 2005

hello,

i am new to sqlserver2005 and am running it under windows vista home premium. how do i get the server started? i am starting it from server management studio but when i attempt to connect i get this error:

Cannot connect to SERVER2005.

------------------------------
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdN...3&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK
    anagement studio. registered a server but cant get a connection.

how do i correct this?

any help would be highly appreciated.

thanks.

Do you have latest service pack (SP2) of sql server installed on your system ?
    Mihir Mehendale
    DB Team @ Clarion
    Clarion Technologies
    (SEI CMMI Level 3)
    Pune, India
    www.clariontechnologies.co.in
    www.vEmployee.com

Are you working with SQL 2005 Standard, Enterprise or Express?
    Last edited by Liebling; 06-30-08 at 13:00.
    "Passion rebuilds the world for the youth. It makes all things alive and significant. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Developer edition?

if so turn on remote connections in surface area config

You get this when the username or password are wrong.
    Change them to correct values and check it again.

Neither of the suggestions actually targets the real problem. As the message from the link posted by OP states, "This error could occur because either the client cannot resolve the name of the server or the name of the server is incorrect."
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Quote Originally Posted by rdjabarov
    Neither of the suggestions actually targets the real problem. As the message from the link posted by OP states, "This error could occur because either the client cannot resolve the name of the server or the name of the server is incorrect."
    ??
    Mine was preceeded by a question and the OP's error does also state:

this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

Which is the bit I am refering to!

Considering the OP hasn't posted back... how do you know what the real problem is?

Provided Answers: 6
    because Robert is infallible. at least in his own eyes.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Not because of that either. Edition and SP level have nothing to do with inability to connect to the server when you get the error posted by the OP. He/she is running it under Vista, so the assumption is that the connection is attempted to be made locally. In this case turning on remote connections doesn't apply. If username or password are wrong the error message will be different (logon failed...). This leaves you with 1 option, - the server name cannot be resolved, which means it is misspelled, or there is a problem with the name resolution. Again, if it is a local connection, then most likely the spelling was incorrect. Of course, the service may not be running, in this case you can't connect to it no matter what you do and what edition/SP level it is at

ok fair comment

After re-reading the OP I would agree that your synopsis is more probable.

But.. the OP does ask how he gets the server started so maybe he has installed SQLEXPRESS and for some reason the windows service hasn't started, which would also incur the same error message.

Yup, and the end of my reply also accounts for it, except it doesn't matter what edition is installed. If the service is not running, - you can't connect to it

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    because Robert is infallible. at least in his own eyes.
    ...This is called "POST-AND-RUN", BTW. At least leave some substance behind