Unanswered: Join Limitations - Sybase12.0

Hi Guys,

I am getting the following error message while executing the beloq query.

select *
    from a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,a a1,a a2,a a3,b b1,b b2,c c1,c c2,c c3,c c4,c c5,d d1,d d2,d d3,d d4,d d5,d d6,d d7,d d8,d d9,d d10,s s1,s s2,s s3,s s4,s s5,s s6,s s7,s s8,s s9,s s10,s s11,s s12,s 13,s 14,s s15,s s16

Server Message: Number 106, Severity 15
    Server 'DEV', Line 1:
    Too many table names in the query. The maximum allowable is 50.

Just i executed the above query for testing purpose as well as to know the maximum no of tables in a single Join.

what is the maximum no of table that we can use in a single join on different sybase versions ?

Say for example,
    12.0,12.5,12.5.3,12.5.4 and 15.0

is there any way to modify the maximum limit in each version ?

Seeing as the Sybase optimiser gets a bit clueless when it tries to join more than 7 tables (even if those tables have perfect indexes) - I can’t see the point of your question. Most other RDBMs have very similar limits to what they can optimise (and hence run). What are you intending on proving by showing that Sybase can’t join more than 50 tables?

Just wanted to gather the limitations of sybase 12.0 version & sybase 12.5.4 version.

As I said before, it wouldn’t matter if the join limitation was 1000 tables (syntactically speaking) as the optimiser would get thrown by anything over 7 tables (in real life). It just worries me that your spending all this time comparing two database systems and the comparisons you’re making have little relevance in the real world.

Provided Answers: 4
    Karthi_syb, you aren't trying to get us to help you with your homework, do you?
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!

As i am preparing a doc about the Limitations of 12.0, i just did this kind of research. Thats it.

Provided Answers: 4
    You're very thourough I must say. I would have just tried to fins it out when I came across a problem in that area.
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!