Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.xxx.xx.x' (10061)

Hi all,

i have a epos app on a laptop cannot connect to the server remotely.

the server is on a private 192. address via a wireless router.

the laptop is also on another private address with the application copied\pasted onto it but when the application is ran i get the following error..

Can't connect to MySQL server on '192.xxx.xx.x' (10061)

the mysql database is using filezilla as an ftpclient also

i have all the files and this has been setup before to work but not by me. i have no sql knowledge so please be kind lol

Thanks
    Dan

Provided Answers: 59
    id suggest you talk to the supplier of the eos app....

the most likely reasons are ging to be
    the security on the sql server isn't set up for your userid from the ip address. Id want to check the ip address actually being received at the sql server... it may not be the same as the 192. series assuming its going through some sort of network acesss point.

it could be that the server and the client are not talking.. it could be a firewall or proxy server problem at any of the systems.

from the error message you are getting I'd expect it to be more likely to be a firewall/proxy problem.

however proving that within your app environment is going tobe tricky.

if it were me I'd download the MySQL GUI utilities, from the MySQL site, such as query browser & administrator and prove the connection works and then move on to why the app isnt workng
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

the epos app was made one off, cannot get intouch with the guy

the app runs fine when its on the same lan as the server, but i need this to run from anywhere.

the easiest way i can think of would be to create a vpn for the site but im sure mysql queries can be ran from any ip range.

the devopler had created a home user exe file for remote users which has stop working about 6 months ago, the application is used to update a website.

i need this program to work on all ip address but dont know nothing about mysql.

i will download the above files and try them out cheers

i only the that from the server i ran ipconfig to show a 192 address.

id check the security permission in th mysql server... mysql adminstrator will help on that.

it maybe just as simple as GRANTing permissions for the specified user formthe the specified ip address

where do i start? i have downloaded the mysql gui thing, but dont have a clue where to check anything all i have is the laptop with the app on it

so have you installed the gui tools
    then open up mysql administrator
    connect to the server using the admin userid and password

i have tried that but i am at home with the laptop on my private address and the server is at work also on its own private ip address
    when i start the mysql admin its asks for...

stored conn = dont know what that is
    server host = is that the ip address of the server?
    username
    password

i dont know these either but the info is in one of the config folders

i.e mysql.webservice.dll or po.exe-config file

from what i do know is that i have a mysql program that needs to be used on any laptop at any location providing there is an internet conn

cheers for the info you have gave btw

your OP said you were experiencing problems connecting to a remote mYSQL server
    I suggested a way of testing whether its a MySQL problem or a program problem

but you do need to know some information
    the location of the mysql server (it needs wither the ip address or the server name)
    a vaild userid and password combination
    you will also probably need the admin userid and password to make changes to the server.. or get who ever maintians the server to make changes for you.

as said before it could be a server problem (ie the security is locking you out)
    it could be a firewall problem on your laptop, your router etc which is stopping the conversation starting between the laptop and the server.

so is your problem that you cannot get from your own privtaae home work, onto a server in another private work network.. that sound more a vpn type problem.. you need to authenciate yourself onto the work network. that may be your problem that the work netwrok is tied down and won't allow admin rights from a remote system. it can be overcome if you have a fixed IP address.. unlikely with a big ISP but doable with a smaller ISP

a stored connection is one that you have connected to in the past in that programme

the server host iss the servername or ipaddress of the server
    eg dataserver.myhost.com

your network trolls should be able to tell you the server name and or ipaddress. they should be able to confirm that the server is visible to the outside world. they should be able to supply the mechanism to connect to the server from the outside world ie make certain a remote system can connect to the server.

judging by http://www.google.co.uk/search?clien...=Google+Search id suspect the problem is going to be a firewall problem (ie the program cannot see the server and they are not entering into a conversation at all, rather than the server is rejecting the logon)
    so id want to prove the laptop works ont he work network (shows it can work), then Id want to connect via an outside connection

after that is maing certaint he server can be seen on your laptop (thats where mysql administrator comes in.. ifd you can see the server and the db schema you need then you knwo the problem is the epos software, if you can't then you knwo its probably the firewalls.

mysql has several erro message which

nice 1 bud.

to keep it simple i will explain the connection prob in as much detail as poss..

the company has a website store which sell it products

the website is ran off a mysql\filezilla ftp database (i hope)

the server is a normal xp terminal running a epos app (bespoke) with the developer guy missing with no contact (no notes either )

the server and application works fine and can update the website instantly (live)

so all is fine that side of things....

where trouble starts.....

i support\help out the owners of the company and have been asked to look at a issue when using the epos application on there laptop as they have three sites (not connected to each other--all on seperate isp)

and want to update the website from any of the 3 sites (server only at 1 site)

when i heard this issue i said....does the laptop\app work at the site with the server running (i.e local lan conn) he replied yes (i have tested this and it does work)

first impressions is the ip address or firewall- VPN needed ...but thats all a bit too much work and found out the developer as created a "home version" of the app for using remotely

i have taken a copy of the files and applied them onto another laptop where im testing now with no firewall or anything.

starting with clicking on the applcation.exe the program opens up fine, soon as you make changes to a product and save i have the (10061) http error

i know this will happen as i can see no way of a secure conction to the server remotley being made.

but then again i have no experience with sql and this i think could be solved via access the the companys ftp where the data is held.

just dont know where to start with these mysql files i have and change .DLL files is something i aint done before.

hope i aint missed nothing,appreciate the help greatly
    Last edited by dmb-it-uk; 07-02-08 at 17:01.

so youdon't have a firewall on the laptop
    you may have a firewall on the router
    you may have a firewall on the server or router thats stopping inbound conections.

thats where I'd concentrate my attention
    Id want to speak to the ISP's running the servers and confirm they are prepared to give you access to the data server. ive had problems before where ISP's policies prohibit access to their servers from outside, unless its coming from a fixed IP address which they can verify.

if that doesm't work then you are going to have to find a diferent way of updating your data. one techniques is to dump the updates in SQL format into a text file
    upload the textfile to the server and then run the script..

i thought it would be as easy to change the config data in the ftpclient.dll or webservice\webupddateservice.dll files to allow access?

the ftp server is filezilla for the database access i think.

the application generates the below error logs if thats anyhelp and one of the other application my also generate the text file upload as you say but then again i only know (cert) MS server 2003\winXp\exchange.

dont know nothing about writing scripts or batch processes etc .

Error in frmCategories
    The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found.
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtoc ol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtoc ol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
    at po.webUp.WebUp.InsertInfo(String info, String subCatId) in C:\c_sharp\po\Web References\webUp\Reference.cs:line 59
    at po.frmCategories.updatexxxxxxEntry(DataRow foundRow) in c:\c_sharp\po\frmcategories.cs:line 2143

Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'labour_cost', table 'xxxxxx.dbo.xxxxxxx_items2'; column does not allow nulls. UPDATE fails.
    The statement has been terminated.
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlExc eption exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnErro r(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndW arning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteRead er(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderT ds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader( CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNo nQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
    at po.BL.Categories.UpdateItems2(ArrayList myParams) in C:\c_sharp\po\BL\Categories.cs:line 305

i will contact the host of the website for any further help tomorrrow if needed. and check the server over 1 more time for inbound connections

can anbody help with this issue?

i thought it would be simple, as i'm sure all you sql guys setup mysql to run from any ip address range??

i not asking anything too hard to do am i?

Cheers

Hi dmb-it-uk,

From the looks of the previous posts your problem is where the MySQL database is hosted, as you have mentioned that if you try and use the custom EPOS application while connected on the same LAN it works flawlessly.

This makes the point obvious, and i could be being extremely stupid here so please flog me if i am but if the DB is stored on your company LAN then there is going to be a firewall in between the DB server and the tinterweb so if you are trying to connect to that DB server from an external location, unless you have allowed the relevant access/ports through the firewall then you dont have a prayer in hell.

MySQL uses port 3306 by default so this will need allowing/forwarding thru your company firewall to the DB server hosting the MySQL database in question (Check the DB server to see what port it is using and edit accordingly). From a security point of view it would be a lot better to get the client pc's/laptops to establish a secure VPN connection to the company network, that way they will more than likely be assigned an IP on the same subnet and LAN as the DB server (may need some minor config) then you should be able to access the DB as if you were sat next to it and connected to the same LAN and if configured right all information sent to and from the server/client would be encrypted too.

IMHO i would look into purchasing a fairly decent hosting package and hosting the web app/site and DB with them, which would solve firewall issues and most good ISP's guarantee uptime and minimal data loss. This option would provide the opportunity to give as many users as you would like access to the system as you could just point them to http://www.!myapp!.com. Access rights can be locked down by username and passwords at a basic level right thru to specific IP's/IP ranges.

I may have just waffled shizzle for the last few mins but its seems like a plan to me!

Peace!

Mesmeric

PS: FileZilla is an FTP server/client and it does exactly what it says on the tin, 'File Transfer' from client to server and vice versa it is in no way possible (as far as i know) to issue DB queries or to access a MySQL DB, it is merely an application that can be used to upload/edit the file structure of a website. You cannot edit or connect to a DB/DB server with it.
    Last edited by Mesmeric; 07-05-08 at 22:34.

i am at the site now and have been able to find lots of config in the wifi router there is firewall running services as below (this is via the wireless router gui on the server)

HTTPS_INTERN ALLOW always 192.168.0.72 Any Never
    2 MySQL ALLOW always 192.168.0.70 Any Never
    3 ftp - Passv ALLOW always 192.168.0.72 Any Never
    4 FTP ALLOW always 192.168.0.72 Any Always
    5 http_oth ALLOW always 192.168.0.72 Any Never
    6 azureus ALLOW always 192.168.0.74 Any Never
    7 donkey ALLOW always 192.168.0.74 Any Never
    8 Yes E-Mail(SMTP) ALLOW always 192.168.0.72 Any Never

PC Database - Advanced
    Any PC may be added, edited or deleted. If adding a PC which is not connected and On, you must provide the MAC (hardware) address
    Known PCs
    server2 192.168.0.72 (LAN) 00:20:ED:70:9E:E1 (reserved) winserver 192.168.0.70 (LAN) 00:0C:6E:62:CA:56 (reserved) chris 192.168.0.74 (LAN) 00:0C:76:8F:91:47 (reserved) home-8ec48295df 192.168.0.6 (LAN) 00:1E:8C:22:3E:A2 (DHCP) server2 192.168.0.8 (LAN) 00:16:0A:0B:CC:7C (DHCP)

PC Properties Name:
    IP Address: Automatic (DHCP Client)
    DHCP Client - reserved IP address: ...
    Fixed IP address (set on PC): ...

MAC Address:
    Automatic discovery (PC must be available on LAN)
    MAC address is

should i be changing anything on here?

that identifies what computers are allowed or not to connect
    I/we suspect your problem is going to be the inbound firewall on your work network.. thats probably blocking incoming requests, and may also be blocking outgoing responses from the MySQL server

however looking at your original post the error message is
    '192.xxx.xx.x' (10061)

which suggests you laptop is attempting to connect to the MySQL server over a local network.. 192 range ip addresses are reserved for internal networks. you will not be able to use that address to connect to a remote server unless you are using vpn. I'd espcet either a valid ip address OR a server name such as mydata.mydomain.tld

I strongly recommend that you get who ever maintains the security on your work network to make whatever changes are required.. after all effectively you are creating a breach in the firewall which could be exploited by scum