Unanswered: SQL SERVER 2005 Replication

Hi there,

I am having problems setting up shapshot replication on a 2005 box, I can configure dustribution with no problems and create a publication, but if I try to create a push subscription to another server then I get an error saying the snapshot sub system failed to load.

Actual error from sqlagent.out is:

2008-07-02 14:48:01 - ! [LOG] Step 2 of job 'HDX90SQL13-EBMProd_dev-ebm-HDX99SQL01-3' (0xCD529E2B0836C84AA7D6B3FBFAFD319C) cannot be run because the Distribution subsystem failed to load. The job has been suspended
    2008-07-02 15:04:51 - + [162] Internal request (from SetJobNextRunDate [reason: schedule will not run again]) to deactivate schedule 146
    2008-07-02 15:04:55 - ! [LOG] Step 2 of job 'HDX90SQL13-EBMProd_dev-ebm-1' (0xB7625FC17BAF2E41BBA76F039B4E9296) cannot be run because the Snapshot subsystem failed to load. The job has been suspended

This is a test box, so I re-installed sql server and restored master / msdb and still I get the same problem, I have also tried

delete from msdb.dbo.syssubsystems
    exec msdb.dbo.sp_verify_subsystems 1

But that didn't help either.

Anyone got any ideas? I am at a loss how to proceed with this now

By any chance, have you ever had a CTP or beta of SQL installed (or attempted to be installed) on this box?
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

I am not sure, this is a new job for me so I don't know the history of the box.

But however I have read a KB article about removing the registry keys manually for the CTP install, so I will probably try these steps tomorrow.

To be honest I was very surprised that a re-install didn't fix it.

Anyone ever seen this problem?

Well, I had it worse. And I caused it myself. Once I was asked to upgrade a SQL2K EE to SQL2K5 SE. To demonstrate that it would not work, I ran the upgrade, and it failed. Then we uninstalled SQL2K EE, installed SQL2K DE, and I restarted the upgrade with SQL2K5 DE...Well, it failed on SQLClient, because the component checker said it did exist, but when the install tried to verify/upgrade, - it failed because the reg key it referenced didn't exist...Lessons learned, - always make sure there is no left overs from ANY of the previous installs, regardless of whether you're upgrading or installing fresh.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

fixed it, re-installed SQL server 2005 + sp2 and this time I chose not to restore Master and MSDB.

Created a publication and subscription and everything worked fine, I suspect the problem was somewhere in the MSDB database.

So now I have the lovely task of writing backup and maintenance jobs manually. It's times like this I realise how good it is to have MSX set up for SQL server jobs

Thanks for your responses rdjabarov