Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8

    Question Unanswered: stack trace in sybase

    I want to know what is a stacktrace? How to check if it is generated OR a query may probably generate a stacktrace ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    72
    hey,
    A stacktrace occurs when there is a kernel level issue. for example if there is a disk failure etc and sybase is accessing certain data from the failed disk. stack trace is recorded in the Sybase error log and is not human readable, however, Sybase technical support will be able to decipher it.

    stack trace cannot be generated by a query.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,365
    Provided Answers: 1
    There is a dbcc command you can use
    dbcc stacktrace <pid>

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8
    Thanks sudarao !




    Quote Originally Posted by sudarao
    hey,
    A stacktrace occurs when there is a kernel level issue. for example if there is a disk failure etc and sybase is accessing certain data from the failed disk. stack trace is recorded in the Sybase error log and is not human readable, however, Sybase technical support will be able to decipher it.

    stack trace cannot be generated by a query.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8
    Thanks pdreyer


    Quote Originally Posted by pdreyer
    There is a dbcc command you can use
    dbcc stacktrace <pid>

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by tej_athavale
    I want to know what is a stacktrace? How to check if it is generated OR a query may probably generate a stacktrace ?
    A stacktrace is nothing but what internal functions any process goes through. This includes kernel level processes too.

    When you see a stacktrace in the ASE error log, it means that the ASE could not handle a particular scenario. It usually gives what kind of error it is and the last set of function calls it went thro (i.e. stacktrace) before it couldnt handle the situation anymore.

    When you are reading the stacktrace, its actually upside down. i.e. The last function it has called is in the first line and in that order. i.e. last called, first displayed.

    If you have a mysybase account, you can type in the function calls and see if theres an existing match with your case.

    some of the function names are easily readable. For eg., vw_% means something related to views. But some are not.

    Its a very interesting topic.

    And what pdreyer gave is very useful. dbcc stacktrace can tell you exactly what functions a spid is calling internally and give you an idea. On a hung scenario or a sleep scenario, it will turn out very useful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •