Unanswered: Mathematical data in a report..

Hello, I'm using Access 2003, and I have a few questions on a specific report I'm working on, but the first question isn't specific to the report I'm working on--it's a broad question about reports in general.

(1. Again, I'm working on a report that someone else built in the past. Therefore, I wanted to know what's a good way to see the queries/ or tables (the sources of data) at a glance from report Design view? What's a good way to see where everything comes from that Access pulls from in order to generate the report? Is "Object Dependencies" the best bet, or is there anything else?)

2. This report pulls from 2 tables and a query. With the report I'm working on, the report accumulates all of the hours spent on all projects in a given time period worked on, groups by a specific employee, and throws out a total of all hours the given employee spent on all jobs at the bottom section of the report. In the report's current state, each project is assigned and identified by an individual, specific project ID. So, just, each record and entry for a certain project includes a number under "Hours Spent", and it gives a figure of time that was spent on the project. But the problem is that project ID's repeat. That is, multiple records exist for the same project, and so there are different "Hours Spent" figures for each record, each time that work on the given project was entered into the database. This causes those who see the report to have to manually find and add up all the time spent on a given project. What needs to change is that the report needs to list a project only once and accumulate the Hours Spent on that project, and just update that number whenever data is entered, rather than just stick another entry on there. What is a way I could configure the report to do an addition of all of the hours spent based on project ID so that each project is listed only once with a single TOTAL of hours spent, as opposed to being in there numerous times with different hours spent each time the data was entered? Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

--gsempcb
    Last edited by gsempcb; 07-09-08 at 13:44.

It would help us to help you if you would give us some dummy data the way the report looks now, as well as the report's bottom line. Also, if you would give us an idea of the way you want the report to look.

Sam

Open the report in design view.

1 Look at the 'Record Source' in the reports properties.

2 Under 'Sorting and Grouping' from the View menu, add Project and group by it. You may want to hide the detail and just show the group header and/or footer. Play around a bit to get the look that you want.

The red circles and black splotchy things may be a bit chalanging, but setting up to group by project and setting the group detail section's visible property to 'No' should give you a good start.

You also may want to try using the wizard to create a new report with grouping to provide an example.

Great, I've gotten all five of these reports working very well. Basically what helped most was what you said about playing around with the grouping--either initially in the wizard, or right-clicking in design-view and clicking "Sorting and Grouping". Something else that helped was just playing around with/just using trial and error with the different divisions (headers and footers, etc.) of the report. Tryin sum formulas in this particular grouping, and if that didn't work, trying it in another division. Sometimes I'd need to go into the right-click, "Sorting and Grouping", and look at the two field properties "Group Header" and "Group Footer" and enable/disable them to accomodate what I was trying to do. So thanks, it's working well.

The only question I have now is, I've got this single form that's got 5 different buttons that trigger those 5 reports I was just talking about (and then some criteria at the top of the form like a date range and title). Two of those reports require the user to use a combobox and choose a "Team Leader" (which is just a name), and then the report gives some data based on that criteria. Now it's not that the reports and combobox don't work right now--they do! And very well, I might add. The only thing is, this combobox draws the "Team Leader" names from a query I have set up--it's a query with one field, the "Team" leader. Now because of this, many of the names repeat. Now I guess this is because the query pulls the team leaders from a table, and the table might have had various entries designating a specific team leader each time. Thus here in my drop-down menu on my form, I get all of my team leaders' names and that's great, but it's just, each one may be on there 10 or 15 times. And I get the same data when I choose the name, and the report does well and good--it's just, I'd like the combobox to have each team leader's name only once. Any ideas? I'm wondering if it's just a simple "Don't allow duplicates" option that I'm not seeing somewhere, but I fear it may be more involved than that.

-_- never mind--fixed that, too. Changed the regular query to a "Totals Query". All is well.