Unanswered: Importing from Oracle V8 to SQL 2005

I'm running into an interesting problem and would be glad of some help here. I am importing data from an Oracle database running on AIX into SQL 2005. The difficulty here is that the database includes data in Icelandic where there are special characters and these are being replaced by Latin characters in the SQL 2005 database when the transfer is completed. The destination database has a default collation of Icelandic and in addition I have loaded Icelandic in the Supplemental Language Support area. It appears that there is a problem getting the column code page from Oracle as per the following message.

[*]Warning 0x80202066: Data Flow Task: Cannot retrieve the column code page info from the OLE DB provider. If the component supports the "DefaultCodePage" property, the code page from that property will be used. Change the value of the property if the current string code page values are incorrect. If the component does not support the property, the code page from the component's locale ID will be used.[*] (SQL Server Import and Export Wizard

If anyone has encountered a similar issue before and has any ideas on how to resolve this I would very appreciate the input.

Thanks

khellian

I've run into exactly the same issue when converting from Sybase to SQL, and had to modify properties of data pump to get around it.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Modifications

Could you outline what changes you made that kept the special characters in place unchanged?

thanks

khellian

On OLE DB Source properties ensure that AlwaysUseDefaultCodePage is set to TRUE (default is FALSE), and DefaultCodePage corresponds to your Icelandic (default is 1252).
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Error re two code pages

I tried what you suggested in SSIS but am still having issues. Unless I keep with the 1252 code pages I recieve an error that the column cannot be processed because there is more than one code page specified for i , 1252 and 1149. Hence the 1252 appears to be there somewhere at some level. Did you run into anything like this?

I appreciate your help

tks

Resolution

I was finally able to resolve the problem. I made a change to the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE/HOME0/NELS_LANG

The value there was showing the America as the territory and American as the language together with the 1252 code page. I changed this to ICELANDIC_ICELAND.ASCIIS and after that the downloads worked perfectly with the correct character set.

Thanks for your input on this issue. I appreciate it.

Khellian