Unanswered: Yet another UNIQUE constraint question

Say I have a table: parts( part_id, part_name, <other stuff> )

Most of my sprocs do searches on this parts table based on the part_name, NOT the part_id. So...
    Code:
    SELECT ... FROM parts WHERE part_name = 'some name'
    I have a UNIQUE NONCLUSTERED constraint on the part_name

My question: Since virtually any sproc that uses the parts table does a look-up based on the same, should I instead make it a CLUSTERED index? (and as a result, the part_id -- the primary key -- cannot be a clustered index)

There would need to be a lot more information to answer that properly but overall I would probably say no.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    There would need to be a lot more information to answer that properly but overall I would probably say no.
    Hmmm.... So how about if I say this:

In the beginning, there will be lots of inserts into these tables, mainly just to fill them with the appropriate data. Once it's filled, inserts will be sparse, and almost all of the actions taking place on the table will be a SELECT query based on the part_name

That tilts things towards changing it.

Is the primary key (part_id) referenced as a foreign key and is it the leading column in any composite clustered indexes in those related tables?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

It IS referenced as a foreign key in 1 other table, however it is not a part of a composite clustered index in it

Is the other table a many-to-many table?

Are their any other non-clustered indexes on parts? I imagine part_name does not change?

What does this return:
    Code:
    SELECT AVG(DATALENGTH(part_name))
    FROM parts
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

I was a little unsure in what context you meant many-to-many, but essentially the other table is a transaction table, where each trans_id (the primary key) can be associated with at most 1 part_id

No other non-clustered indexes exist on the parts table (unless you count the part_id, which is a primary key, so indexed by default)

part_name will not change -- if it does it will be rare

Your AVG() query returns 11 (the part-name will almost always be 11 characters)

In this case I would suggest the answer would be 'why bother'.

Well, he'd no longer have to traverse the NCI and perform a lookup.If he is not experiencing any perceivable performance hit then this theoretical gain is probably not worth the effort though, as you say.

The obvious (to me anyway) point here would be to use the id for all where predicates but this would be mean retrofitting a lot of code. One to bear in mind for the future, dbguy.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Well, he'd no longer have to traverse the NCI and perform a lookup.If he is not experiencing any perceivable performance hit then this theoretical gain is probably not worth the effort though, as you say.

The obvious (to me anyway) point here would be to use the id for all where predicates but this would be mean retrofitting a lot of code. One to bear in mind for the future, dbguy.
    Thanks for the responses guys. I've decided to leave it as unclustered then.