Unanswered: question regarding redirect restore

Hi All
    i have a question regarding restore of the database. if we are doing redirected restore and if we have DMS tablespaces, during set tablespace containers we will define the size of containers depending on (HIGH WATERMARK/ no of containers). for example say i have the following details for the tablespace.

Total pages = 10000
    Useable pages = 9744
    Used pages = 6000
    Free pages = 3744
    High water mark (pages) = 8000
    Page size (bytes) = 32768

so if we have 2 containers we usually divide 8000/2=4000 and set the containers as set tablepace containers for 8 using (file '/db2udb/udb/emp' 4000).
    my question is will the redirect restore work fine if we divide the usedpages/no of containers(6000/2=3000) and then set containers accordingly as
    set tablespace containers for 8 using (file '/db2udb/udb/emp' 3000)
    do we need to divide the Highwatermark by no of containers even though the no of used pages are less than the Highwatermark?.
    my db is V8.1 fp14 on AIX
    any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by rajaryan4545; 07-11-08 at 21:39.

I was specifically promised when I applied for my job as a DBA that there would be no math required.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Provided Answers: 1
    In other words, you are asking whether DB2 will reorganize the tablespace during the redirected restore, thus lowering its HWM. I think the answer is no, but it's really easy to see for yourself, isn't it?
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

actually I have tried setting the containers to size less than the highwater mark(3500) and did the redirected restore. but it came up with an error :A device full warning was encountered on device "ts_12".(the same tbspace #8)
    1)even though there are only 6000 used pages why it is throwing out the error even if i gave 7000 pages ofcourse which are less than Highwater mark.?
    2)i heard that there is a way to reduce the highwatermark using DB2DART and Reorg,but i am not sure how to do that.

When you run DB2DART it will provide you suggestions on how to reduce the high water mark.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390