Unanswered: Recover sql server 2000 user database when sql server crashes

Hi,

I have sql server 2000 installed in a machine and database (data+log) files are pointed on SAN. I want to know, if by any chance the machine crashes then will I be able to attach the database to a new server without any data loss.

You should be as long as they are safe. But do have an offline / tape backup always.

HI,

Thanks for your reply. However I have a doubt, as to what will happen if there are some huge transaction going on and the server crashes. If I am not using commit\rollback then what will happen of those transactions.

They'll rollback/commit when the new server is started.

In addition to having backups, test the backups every now and again to ensure they work in a DR situtation. It does you no good to have a backup that you cannot restore, IMO.

In addition to having backups, test the backups every now and again to ensure they work in a DR situtation. It does you no good to have a backup that you cannot restore, IMO.

...and in adition, don't just test them every now and then, but every time you take a backup, test the one that you took now, as well as the ones that you took before, with verifyonly.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

While the verifyonly is an option, I like to see my data back online. Also allows me to run CHECKDB away from production. Also, it doesn't hurt to have the users test the restore as well. It's part of the testing of our DR plan and they actually login to a test environment twice a year to validate our process.