Unanswered: Link to an Excel file from Oracle 9i

For a bit of history: I developed an Access database which linked to a number of excel spreadsheets. When one of the spreadsheets was updated, the Access mdb appended this information via an ODBC connection to the proper Oracle tables. I have recently lost the ability to use MS Access, as our "contracted" IT idiots, have deemed Access unfit to link to Oracle.

Is it possible, without using a 3rd party application, to link to an Excel file from my Oracle 9i database?

Any help you may be able to supply would be greatly appreciated.
    Kirk Wahl
    GM Powertrain SMCO

If the database is running on a windoze machine, you could setup a database link to excel using ODBC. However, we don't like using access databases either, but if they are needed, we still use them. Tell the IT weenies if they don't want access, they have to provide the same functionally that they are taking away.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Quote Originally Posted by beilstwh
    If the database is running on a windoze machine, you could setup a database link to excel using ODBC. However, we don't like using access databases either, but if they are needed, we still use them. Tell the IT weenies if they don't want access, they have to provide the same functionally that they are taking away.
    The Oracle DB is on an off site citrix metaframe server. A link from our local server is not possible. There is however a link allowed from the citrix server to our local server. The mapping is only allowed one way. I would ideally like to use pl/sql to connect to the Excel files, but I cannot find the code to do so.
    Kirk Wahl
    GM Powertrain SMCO

pl/sql can't do that. Oracle forms 6i can do it using OLE2. Metalink has a nice article on setting it up.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.