Unanswered: Automatic character conversion

Hey everyone,

Hopeing someone can help me out with this one. We're trying to move an application of ours over to use Postgresql in a mixed Mac and Windows environment. The postgresql environment that I'm testing/developing on uses a Mac server with Postgresql (v8.3) on it.

The problem I'm running into is that the client software I'm currently using does not support Unicode (well there is a version out there that does but I can't use it yet) and on Windows its using LATIN1 and on Mac its using LATIN9 to communicate with the server.

Ideally I would want my data to be stored in UTF server side and have the server convert to either LATIN1 or LATIN9 depending on the client. For now its acceptable that there may be a character or two stored server side thats not translatable to the client as such characters are rarely used if at all.

If I create my database setting UTF8 encoding but when I do this I get errors that conversion from LATIN9 to UTF8 is not supported.

Is there some way to enable automatic character conversions or am I overloooking something obvious here?
    Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij

Small addition to this.

Seems conversion from LATIN1 to UTF-8 or LATIN9 to UTF-8 should be supported but I'm missing a pg_conversion catalog on the installation.I do have a pg_conversion table in the pg_catalog catalog on every database but that one is pretty empty.

Is this something that is missing in the postgresqlformac installer or something I need to do additionally after the installation?

Or am I totally looking in the wrong direction here?

*edit*
    Ok just installed postgresql on a windows machine and connecting with client set LATIN1 to a UTF8 configured database worked fine and it seems to do all the character conversions as it should.
    This seems to be something with the mac install...

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by BasOlij; 07-15-08 at 02:17.
    Greetz,

Bastiaan Olij