For some time now we have had a problem with DB2 java tools (Control Center, Datawarehouse Center, Client Configuration Wizard... all of them) on server... they don't run at all, never. When trying to run them it all looks normal until the progress bar stops little after middle of the opening the tool selected. Then the window just vanishes and you can find an error in event viewer :
Faulting application javaw.exe, version 141.2004.3.1, faulting module db2jddba.dll, version 22.214.171.1249, fault address 0x00027f4b.
The server is windows 2003. Db2 version used to be 8.1.15 when the problem started. The problem seemed to start without any provocation, at least we don't know that anything would have changed. It was just suddenly one day when the tools did not work anymore. The database itself is working fine and tools on the clients work well. We now have db2 version 8.1.16 as we tried to fix the problem by installing the fixpak. It did not help.
I have found a couple of exact same guestions on the internet but so far I have not found a simple answer that would help. So any ideas of what could have happened and how to fix it would be welcome.
I got the Control Center javaw error this week and found this post at the forum, maybe you solved the problem already, but If not, I post the steps that work for me.
Looking on IBM DB2 Support I found this topic:
Frequently asked question - UDB on Windows NT
How can I correct the error "javaw.exe - Application Error." The instruction at "hex_number" referenced memory at "hex_number." The memory could not be "read" when I bring up the Command Center on Windows?
A: Try the following:
1. Ensure that DB2 JDBC Applet Server -- Control Center is started.
2. Rename the .prf files under the instance (eg c:\sqllib\DB2\*.prf) to *.bak.
3. Start the Command Center.
Reference: 28132 Date: 03 Jul 2007
I did it and also replaced the db2jddba.dll file with the same file located on other server with DB2. This File is located in the folder \DB2\IBM\SQLLIB\BIN
Now the problem is solved and I can open the Control Center again.
Thanks a lot Roger, your answer proved to be extremely valuable!!
We simply renamed the .prf files under /sqllib/db2 and all of the Java tools started to work immediately. We did not need to copy any files or anything else, simply just rename .prf files and that's it.