Unanswered: Novice Question: How do I connect to an Oracle database through unix

Hi

An oracle database has been set up for me to use on a remote unix server.
    I've been given the ORACLE_SID, the PORT, a username and password.

I'm trying to access the database using sqlplus but I cant find sqlplus on the server. How do I find where sqlplus is on the server?

I've tried using $ . oraenv to set up the access but it just says permission denied.
    What do I need to do to run sqlplus and access the database?

This is all very vague I know, but its all I've been given. I have the directory path of the oracle database on the server but I do not have permission to open this folder.

Sorry I sound very stupid. I'm new to this and I'm used to using the command prompt to invoke sqlplus which is already set up.

Thanks for your help

I think you should install the Oracle client in the UNIX machine first. Of course, the most direct way is to ask the guy, who gave you login and password.

Thanks for that.

Turns out that the person had installed Oracle client on a remote windows box which I could then use to connect to oracle on the unix server. They just didn't tell me this at first so I was trying to connect to it through unix.

Always fun dealing with people in a different speaking country!