Question Unanswered: Problem with INSERT command

I'm having problems with my INSERT command. I suspect it may have something to do with the temp table but I can't find any documentation.

Here is my current code:

INSERT proc_resource
    SELECT
    proc_urn,
    surg_urn,
    res_urn,
    fac_urn,
    pr_quantity,
    pr_offset,
    pr_dur
    FROM
    #temp3

I receive a the following error message:
    Subquery returned more than 1 value. This is not permitted when the subquery follows =, !=, <, <= , >, >= or when the subquery is used as an expression.

This is strange since I'm not using a subquery. Oddly enough I swapped the tables so that I would add to the temp table instead and it works fine.

INSERT #temp3
    SELECT
    proc_urn,
    surg_urn,
    res_urn,
    fac_urn,
    pr_quantity,
    pr_offset,
    pr_dur
    FROM
    proc_resource

SELECT * FROM #temp3

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Provided Answers: 6
    I dunno really but why don't you try putting in a destination column list.

INSERT INTO MyTABLE(COLL1,COL2)
    SELECT COLL1,COL2 FROM myothertable
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

I already tried that previously and I just ended up with the same error message.

what you pasted, is that a part of your code you think is bad? Can you paste the full code as you're running in the management studio?

Do you have a trigger on proc_resource doing an insert? The error might be coming from a trigger.

...and that's another reason not to use triggers...oh boy...
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Good catch Cascred! The table in question does in fact have a trigger. I would have spent forever trying to figure that one out. Since I can't modify the trigger (coded by the vendor) I wonder if a loop (cursor) sending one line at a time would work??

First, I have to say that you have a piss-poor trigger when it assumes that only one item at a time will be inserted into a table.

If you can't modify the trigger, inserting one line at a time is your only solution.

I am not suggesting that you modify the vendor supplied trigger (that's my disclaimer). However, being a DBA, I would be tempted to modify the trigger if I could duplicate the functionality while fixing the flaw. Not that I have ever done anything like that before .....

LOL...don't think I wasn't tempted.

Unfortunately this vendor didn't think somebody like me would try to save our staff hours of data entry since their front end application can only handle one entry at a time.