Unanswered: Unexpected error from external database driver (8458)
First time poster ...
I have been linking dfb files to MS Access 2003 for some time, always reading successfully. My client updated to 2007 a couple of months ago and again it was sucessfully reading the .dbf files until last week. Suddenly they are getting the error: Unexpected error from external database driver (8458)
Thinking that maybe the dbf files were corrupt I tried linking and importing other .dbf files but get the same error. I transferred the files to another PC with Access 2003 and can successfully read the files.
I have tried reinstalling Office 2007 but am still getting the same error. Any ideas? OS is WinXP Pro.
Thanks, will give it a try, but found a free way of doing it.
How to repair a copy of MDAC 2.8 SP1 on Windows XP with SP2 installed.
Right-click on C:\Windows\Inf\mdac.inf and choose "Install". When
prompted for the XP SP2 media, point to the i386 folder in one of
these places: 1.
The \i386 folder on the XP SP2 CDROM. If you are unlucky enough to
have a CDROM that has XPSP2.EXE in the root of the CDROM, and no \i386
then you will have to create an i386 folder using a command like this,
XPSP2.EXE /X:C:\XpSp2 Then point to C:\XpSp2\i386. 2.
The \i386 folder on a slipstreamed XP SP2 installation CDROM. When
prompted for the XP installation media, point to the i386 folder in
one of these places:
1. C:\Windows\ServicepackFiles\i386 (it may not like this location, if
not, go to the next one)
2. The \i386 folder on your XP installation CDROM. This reinstalls and
repairs MDAC 2.8.