Unanswered: Apostrophe in the name

The problem comes about when there is an apostrophe in the name. And produces a runtime error.

1st Example
    DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO Invoice_Comments ( Accounts_Reference, Supplier_Code, " _
    & " Supplier_Name, Invoice_No, ResponsibleRegion, Comments_By, Comment_Date, Comments ) " _
    & "SELECT '" & sAcc_Ref & "', '" & sSup_Code & "', '" & sSup_Name & "', '" & sInv_No & "', " _
    & "'" & sRegion & "','" & sCommentsBy & "', '" & dCom_Dte & "', '" & sComments & "';"

2nd Example
    DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO Invoice_Comments ( Accounts_Reference, Supplier_Code, " _
    & " Supplier_Name, Invoice_No, ResponsibleRegion, Comments_By, Comment_Date, Comments ) " _
    & "SELECT '" & sAcc_Ref & "', '" & sSup_Code & "', '" & Replace(sSup_Name, "'", "' '") & "', '" & sInv_No & "', " _
    & "'" & sRegion & "','" & sCommentsBy & "', '" & dCom_Dte & "', '" & sComments & "';"

Example 1 gives me an error 3134

I have tried entering REPLACE in front as shown in the second example of the code. This then gives me an Error 3075

All help apprecitated.
    Cheers

It helps if you use the code tags - the code is then in a fixed width font and helps reading. This is especially important when dealing with apostrophes.
    Code:
    ...." & Replace(sSup_Name, "'", "''") & "....
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Thanks for your reply
    However, I dont understand that looks the same as what I wrote. Can you explain a little further in simple language. I am struggling with this one.

Ok.

Change the code to:
    Code:
    Dim s as String

s = "INSERT INTO Invoice_Comments ( Accounts_Reference, Supplier_Code, " _
     & "SELECT '" & sAcc_Ref & "', '" & sSup_Code & "', '" & Replace(sSup_Name, "'", "' '") & "', '" & sInv_No & "', " _

Debug.Print s

DoCmd.RunSQL s
    Copy and paste what the result of s is. Tell us exactly what the error reads.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

In the Immediate Window this is what i get.

INSERT INTO Invoice_Comments ( Accounts_Reference, Supplier_Code, Supplier_Name, Invoice_No, ResponsibleRegion, Comments_By, Comment_Date, Comments ) SELECT '0010065742', '0000677900', 'ST MARY' 'S', '8203', 'South','RT', '21/07/2008 16:55:21', 'Test comment';

And the error is Run-Time error ‘3075’
    Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression “St Mary’2”.

Please put in code tags.

(EDIT - No need to answer - we posted simultaneously) What error?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

You used your REPLACE() code not mine huh? Now - this illustrates exactly why you should use code tags. Because:
    Quote Originally Posted by HelpMePlease
    that looks the same as what I wrote.
    that is not true. If you compare the two lines in fixed width font you will see a difference.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Beg your pardon - my fault. I asked you to run your code. Compare my replace and your replace - you'll see there is a difference.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

INSERT INTO Invoice_Comments ( Accounts_Reference, Supplier_Code, Supplier_Name, Invoice_No, ResponsibleRegion, Comments_By, Comment_Date, Comments ) SELECT '', '0010065742', ....ST MARY''S...., '8203', 'South','RT', '21/07/2008 16:55:21', 'Test comment';

And the error message os the same

Ok I think I have resolved this one with changing the replace to

'" & Replace(sSup_Name, "'", "") & "'

many thanks for your help.

To handle apostrophies in select statements, I've used syntax such as:

strSQL = "Select * from MyTable where LastName like """ & SomeVariable & """"

Using the 3 ", I've avoided issues with a ' in the name (and having to issue a replace).
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)