Unanswered: Connecting to CA-IDMS via JDBC drivers

Hi there

I know that I can connect to an IDMS DB using JDBC type 4 drivers, but I have a few questions:

Is this the process:
    - Set up the IDMS system to allow JDBC connections - defining TCP/IP lines etc.
    - Install CA-IDMS Server on client PC
    - Try to establish connection.
    - Use JDBC driver in web page programming to connect to DB (similar to mySQL and ODBC?) and retrieve data from the IDMS-> display it on the webpage.

Is that overview correct, or have I got it totally wrong?

Here is the diagram of how it works:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/jpmad4it/1.jpg

It shows that connecting the IDMS via TCP/IP to the JDBC Type 4 driver requires either a Java Platform (does this mean Windows, linux etc) or a Java Client.....what do those mean? How does it work?

If anyone could help clear this up I would be very grateful.

Kind regards
    Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,
    I just read your post from several years back. Were you successful in connecting to an IDMS DB using JDBC type 4 drivers.

Take Care,
    Bruce Swist

If you get no reply here, suggest you call/e-mail CA. . .

Thanks
    Researched and already conversed with CA.
    Looking for a user who was successful and has the setup.
    Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Yes I did get this working, but it was a long time ago and I was made redundant from that job so I can't really remember much about it.

All I remember is that I had a PHP test page that connected to JDBC (I think a Java Virtual Machine was required), which in turn connected to the necessary CA IDMS infrastructure and it brought back some results. I seem to remember JNDI being mentioned a lot and a bridge from Java to PHP. I'm sorry but that's all I have :-(

Anyway, I did a search for this on Google as I remember posting on a LOT of forums as I really needed some guidance......and I found my old posts that might help you:

Tomcat - User - Help: Connecting Tomcat to CA-IDMS using JDBC Type 4 Drivers (JNDI / IDMSDataSource)

Apache Tomcat 6.0 (6.0.35) - JNDI Resources HOW-TO

General JDBC questions, and how to connect via PHP, ASP

Re: Help: Connecting Tomcat to CA-IDMS using JDBC Type 4 Drivers (JNDI / IDMSDataSource)

Re: Help: Connecting Tomcat to CA-IDMS using JDBC Type 4 Drivers (JNDI / IDMSDataSource)

It was a nightmare trying to get help with such a legacy database and the new drivers. I think my best help did come from CA at the time. We paid for support and they were very helpful. If I had all my old emails I would have given them to you :-/