I never worked with JDBC (i hate Java) , but...
To connect to IDS you need to configure at least 4 things:
1) dbservername (=sabik_940)
2) protocol (default onsoctcp to JDBC )
3) hostname ( = sabik )
4) TCP portnumber (= 1542)
To make sure you can access the database execute this tests, on the command line:
1) ping the server by name to discover if the name are resolved by DNS: ping sabik
2) execute a telnet on the port of database: telnet sabik 1542
the connection must be accept (to close the conection press "CONTROL+[" )
3) make sure the database name is "netballs_client" and the user have GRANT CONNECT
4) if all this work well, get the error number with some this functions:
Returns a description of the error
SQLException inherits this method from the java.util.Throwable class.
Returns an integer value that corresponds to the Informix database server or
IBM Informix JDBC Driver error code
Returns a string that describes the SQLSTATE value
The string follows the X/Open SQLSTATE conventions.