Unanswered: Backup completion email notification

we are running DB2/UDB V 9.5.100.179 (fix pack 2 )

We use the task scheduler to run backups and other maintenance and I rely heavily on the built-in notification system for the status of backups.

We are now moving to a third party scheduling system on the mainframe and I had to build command line scripts for all my backup jobs and save them to .bat jobs in order for this third party scheduling system to call them..

Problem is... now I've lost my email notifications. is there a way to have DB2 notify via email when database is backed up? or is there a way to code this in my command line backup?

any help would be appreciated.

Provided Answers: 11
    on unix you can create a simple script that invokes db2 backup db...
    when finished, checks the return code or queries the history file (with sql) and mails the answer to any user (mailx)
    schedule this in crontab
    in developer works, there is even a sample of a small java program that ships mail with attachment, as by default this is not supported on unix
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

This is DB2 on a windows box.

Provided Answers: 11
    you can use task center and schedule jobs
    also mailing is supported with task center
    see infocenter how to create toolscat and setup smtp for admin
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

We are using task center now but the requirement is to now stop using task center, create command line backup jobs and use a third party central scheduling system on the mainframe to schedule the backup and maintenance jobs (see my original post)

The third party scheduler on the mainframe does not have a notification agent... Is there anyway to have db2 do email notifications outside of the task center... like through command line?
    Last edited by itsonlyme44; 08-06-08 at 09:50.

We have a set-up for backup as follows:

DOS script that calls db2 backup and then checks ERRORLEVEL from backup command. If ERROLEVEL denote failure then an entry is written to NT Event log. We use a thirdparty software (HP Open View) which checks NT event Log for db back up failure entry and then alerts admin through Email.

To write entry to Event log use 'logevent' command in Windows.

Hope the info is useful

Regards

Harikumar

Thank you . We also use HP Openview for monitoring and alerting. Problem is we are using Unix scripting for the actual Backup.