Unanswered: Mirror databases

I am using SQL Server 2005 and would like know what is the best way to keep two databases on different servers mirrored (Production database and the backup/testing database). Basically I need to update the backup db routinely and having to drop the databases and importing them back is getting the job done but I'm looking into something more automated. Would linking the databases be a solution? I would like to make this into a stored procedure and have tried to write T-SQL scripts to export/import but I'm running into IDENTITY_INSERT issues. Please advise...

Thank you,
    June

Provided Answers: 11
    How about backup/restore? If you are only doing this a few times a month (and probably less than that, unless your developers enjoy having their work overwritten), it works better than just about anything.

How can backup/restore be automated?

Provided Answers: 6
    with a sql agent job. talk to the DBA.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    with a sql agent job. talk to the DBA.
    Great line! And absolutely right about overwriting developers work. When I first started my recent job, I checked all production servers first for all maintenance that was occurring, database sizes, everything. Well at the start of my second week, a developer calls and wants to know where her stored procs were. A search of that dev server revealed the dev database was over-written each Sunday, without backups of the dev database occurring.My predecessor, being the genius he was, thought that was the best approach as opposed to on demand. Needless to say, things were rectified but not until the damage was done. Be aware of everything happening around you or you will get bitten!