Weatherford TX (Between Fort Worth and Abilene)

Unanswered: Shared database hosting

I have a client with an sql server database that she needs hosting. I have researched renting a dedicated server and this is much more than she needs. It also means she would not only have to manage the Sql server but also be responsible for setting up the fire wall and all the other things that go along with managing a full blown Windows 2000.

What would be ideal for her is check out Shared Database Hosting where all of the security issues would be taken care of and possibby a lot of the backups and server maintenance. She is also in the morgtage industry so security would be a really big issue. I have tried searching the internet but mostly what I have found seem to be fly by night companies. I did an online chat with one of the representatives and when I asked about security he said "our security is really good" and couldn't answer any real specefice security questions. She would primarily be needing to connect to the database via ODBC, windows applications, or MS Access. No web access would be required at this time.

Can someone reccomend a good site that does share hosting and what to ask for as security questions like does it have SSL? I'm not familar with security so I really don't know what to ask....I don't even know what ssl is exactly.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gem1204
    I have a client with an sql server database that she needs hosting. I have researched renting a dedicated server and this is much more than she needs. It also means she would not only have to manage the Sql server but also be responsible for setting up the fire wall and all the other things that go along with managing a full blown Windows 2000.

What would be ideal for her is check out Shared Database Hosting where all of the security issues would be taken care of and possibby a lot of the backups and server maintenance. She is also in the morgtage industry so security would be a really big issue. I have tried searching the internet but mostly what I have found seem to be fly by night companies. I did an online chat with one of the representatives and when I asked about security he said "our security is really good" and couldn't answer any real specefice security questions. She would primarily be needing to connect to the database via ODBC, windows applications, or MS Access. No web access would be required at this time.

Can someone reccomend a good site that does share hosting and what to ask for as security questions like does it have SSL? I'm not familar with security so I really don't know what to ask....I don't even know what ssl is exactly.
    Thanks

If she's using the data all in house and doesnt need web access to it they why would you want it hosted outside the building?

I'd put a small server in the closet that could be running window XP and windows sql 2005 express edition. If there isn't much data and not to many users this would work fine. The data is now only available to those who have access to your internal network which should be far easier to secure. You will need to look into a backup method.

If you really want to host it somewhere securely try your local internet service provider. They already have multiple servers running and understand security. It might cost you more than some other providers online but at least you'll know who has your data.

Good luck