Unanswered: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]General network error. Check your networ

I am getting "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]General network error. Check your network documentation." error once in a while. The server runs fine for several days and once in a while the application crashes with this error.

Here is the version of SQL Server and OS:
    Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.2039 (Intel X86) May 3 2005 23:18:38 Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

Any idea how to investigate this problem.

San Antonio, TX
    First, upgrade to 2187 build. There is nothing worse than trying to troubleshoot a broken engine. Second, enable logging on the application side, including what was the last statement executed when the error occurred.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Columbus, OH
    Possible investigation methods:

- Check around and see if anyone's doing anything out of the ordinary
    - Plug the error message in the search engine of your choice.
    - Check the Event Viewer and/or log files
    - Post more information to help others trouble shoot the issue
    a) How long has this been going on?
    b) Can you duplicate this on multiple machines
    c) Have you talked to your network admin for suggestions
    d) What has your search turned up (have you eliminated anything or noticed anything unusual like a heavy load on your SQL Server)

Thanks for your quick reply.

Here are some more details regarding the problem:

- I get this problem only when connecting from application server to the development database server. I do not get the error when connected to production database server which is the same version as the development. SQL Server version should not be the problem.

- There are no errors in the Event Viewer or logs on database server. The error I am getting is in the Event Viewer on the application server. The application generating the error is ClickSoftware. Their technical support sent the error to me (DBA) to investigate. Here is the application error:
    Service Optimization Error: code = 5020,The database raised an error with a description text.,c:\views\eng_viewr5\dev\so\infrastructure\so urce\dbconnect\qlogin.cpp(389)
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]General network error. Check your network documentation.
    The application runs fine for days and once in a 2-3 days it would drop the connection.

- No one was doing anything out of the ordinary when the error occured

- We set up the counters in performance monitor and there were no increased activity at the time the error occured (very low CPU, memory, I/O)

- Network administration support said that there were no network problems at that time.

Any ideas what to do next?