OLE DB provider "MSDAORA" for linked server (oracle to sql server 2005)

Hi

I am trying to create a dblink from oracle to sql server 2005 and I get the error as described below:
    ================================================== ===

OLE DB provider "MSDAORA" for linked server "mydblink" returned message "Oracle client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation.

Provider is unable to function until these components are installed.".
    Msg 7303, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSDAORA" for linked server "mydblink".

================================================== =

Please let me know how to solve this problem

Thanks

at first guess
    speak to your network trolls and get the oracle client components installed
    failing that contact oracle product support, after all its their products that can't be found

if its an Oracle site there must be several DBA's sitting around able to assist
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Smile

Client for v7 is only available for NT and Win95. Later versions of Oracle clients don't seem to be fully compatible and Oracle doesn't support clients/drivers prior to v8 or 9. I have managed to get contact with Oracle 7 using v9 client and using Microsoft Oledb in the SQL server linked server setup. I could see the tables/views but had some problems with retrieving certain datatypes from Oracle views, even when using TO_CHAR to convert the datatypes (inside openquery). Yes, you have to to use openquery. It seemed to work fine when using openquery directly on tables though. I believe I had to change a word (setting) in the oraclient file. tnsnames.ora. Client 7 doesn't use SERVICE_NAME so change it to SID. Correct me if I remembered wrong.
    Last edited by Lordhagar; 10-23-08 at 08:11.