Unanswered: groups and users

Hi all,
    m using db2 v8.1 ESE on windows.

1) i created a group named 'db2users' on my db2 server and have added users in this group. now i have added this group name in a 'DB GROUPS' of my database but no user in this group is able to connect to the database even after giving them the connect privilege.
    is doing this much sufficient or need to do something else also?

2) to whom the default public group gives access to?
    is it necessary to remove all privileges from the pulic group first and then continue adding other groups?

You need to grant access to the group with an SQL GRANT statement. For example:

grant select, insert, update, delete on db2inst1.department to group db2users;

In V8 connect access is granted to public. That only allows a connection, not access to any tables.

Please refer to the SQL Reference Vol 2 for information on the GRANT statement.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Marcus i have given them all the database privileges via control center...will this not work?

I don't know what you actually did. Check out the data in the following views:

syscat.tableauth
    syscat.dbauth
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

now see, i have created a group named 'db2users' , double clicked it. then it asks you for database privilege with number of checkboxes. here i have given the only privilege of 'connect to database'. nothing else had i done. now the user of this group is still not able to connect to this database. why so? it is throwing error of security.

hey its done...!!! it had to do with LDAP settings in the profile registry. Thanks...