Unanswered: MSysConf File - ODBC Call Failure

I have been importing data into MS Access from an Intersystems Cache database running on a Unix server for several years with no problems.

Since changing to a Windows server all import routines to MS Access fail. Import to MS Excel and other software packages are successful confirming odbc is correctly configured.

The odbc log suggests that the import into Access is failing because the MSysConf file is missing. Access Help implies that use of this config file is optional and if missing default values will be used. I assume that previous imports on Unix succeeded because default values were used.

Is there any way I can force access to by-pass missing MSysConf file and use default values? Or can anyone throw some light on this configuration file?

Can you link to the tables at all?

On the tables tab of the Access app can you manually link to the tables at all? If not then you might have to take a look at your ODBC config manager on the box you are using.

Hope this helps!

Stu
    --If its free, take it for what its worth!

Hi Stu,

Table Linking has always been a problem even before we changed to a Windows server. The table linking problem was due to the Cache odbc driver supplied rather than the set-up but in the past while on the Unix server I did manage to link to several of the simpler tables. I have not thought to try since the mmove to the Windows server so will give it a try on Monday when I am back in the office ans will report back.

Thanks for the suggestion. Meantime anybody have any experience of using a MSysConf file?

I might look at possibly re-installing the MDAC.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Re-install the MDAC

Hi pkstormy,

ok. I will schedule that in - probably have to be later this week out of hours.

As a matter of interest can you clarify why you think it might be an issue.

Thanks

I only mention the MDAC as this is sometimes related to importing/exporting (and table linking/ODBC connectivity/configuration) issues with MSAccess. Although it mostly deals with SQL Server table linking problems, it's something I would still consider as part of your troubleshooting and I have found it fixes problems I've had in the past with any ODBC type connectivity/configuration issues. It's one of those things that's easy to miss because it's not really specifically an MSAccess problem.

Before you go through the trouble of re-installing the MDAC though, I'd first test the problem your having on other computers to see if you have the same issue on other computers since MDAC is pretty much machine related.

Regardless, updating/re-installing the MDAC is fairly easy and wouldn't hurt.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...dacinstall.asp
    or
    http://www.macropool.com/en/download/mdac.html
    and
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/301202
    Last edited by pkstormy; 08-18-08 at 14:00.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)