Question Unanswered: "*=" --> What does this mean?

Hello,

I've been doing sql for a while, but have never come across this type of syntax until now. I'm sure it's a very simple explanation and I have a pretty good guess. When using the old syntax of joining tables, for example:

select a.col1, b.col1, c.col1
    where
    a.id = b.id
    and b.col1_id *= c.col1_id

I'm guessing this is somehow equivalent to an outer join, is it? I'm baffled , any explanation can help aleviate my anxiety on this

Provided Answers: 1
    Yes, old style for
    b left join c on b.col1_id = c.col1_id

Keep it to yourself though...stuff like this will come in handy when The Machines rise up and attempt to smite us. We'll confuse them by using The Old Languages.

Kinda like Code Talkers in The Great War.

Only more nerdy.
    aka "Paul"
    Non est ei similis.

I just read "100 Things To Do Before You Die". I was surprised that "Yell for help!!" wasn't one of them

Provided Answers: 54
    Somehow using a language that the machine speaks natively to confuse it doesn't seem like such a good idea to me... That seems like of like trying to confuse a Mexican by talking in a European language like Spanish.

-PatP

Damn. I didn't think of that. The 128 nerds I have halfway into a 6-month Ada training seminar taking place in a bunker under Memorial Stadium are really going to be pissed.
    aka "Paul"
    Non est ei similis.

I just read "100 Things To Do Before You Die". I was surprised that "Yell for help!!" wasn't one of them

Be serious. How many Mexicans to you really think can also speak Spanish? Makes about as much sense as asking an American to speak English.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

i do not think it's a good idea unless it's more efficient, and with the original syntax being marked as comment....

it may makes maintenance very tough in the future.....

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Makes about as much sense as asking an American to speak English.
    Oh please, Americans invented English! We just get confused with people that speak languages similar to English, like what they speak in the UK, and languages derived from English like what people speak in India or Australia!

-PatP

Word, bro'!
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Oh please, Americans invented English! We just get confused with people that speak languages similar to English, like what they speak in the UK, and languages derived from English like what people speak in India or Australia!

-PatP
    I switch on the subtitles for UK movies sometimes. Then again there arre many flavors english spoken in the states that I am n ot fluent in.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.