I am extremely new to Informix so forgive me if this is obvious. I installed the developer edition of Informix Dynamic Server on a Windows 2003 R2 Server. I just went through the standard install. I want to use the IBM IDS Data Provider for .NET Framework. This comes with the 9.5 Data Server Client fix pack 1. Although I have tried various versions from the Client SDK to the DB2 Client tools. I am using Visual Studio 2008 and I follow the instructions on the client fix pack install and accept the defaults (apart from giving the files and registry keys specific permissions). I then install the tools for Visual Studio 2008. I assume pretty standard so far.

I then go to Server Explorer and Click "Connect to Database", I then get the following 2 extra options for data source

IBM DB2, IDS and U2 Servers
IBM IDS Server

I select the IBM IDS Server (although the other one doesn't work either), and then go to the next page. From here I enter the server name as the name of the machine I have Informix installed on, the informix user and password and tell it to save the details. I enter the name of a database that I know exists on the server and click Test Connection.

I get the following error message

Microsoft Visual Studio
ERROR [08001] [IBM] SQL30081N A communication error has been detected. Communication protocol being used: "TCP/IP". Communication API being used: "SOCKETS". Location where the error was detected: "". Communication function detecting the error: "connect". Protocol specific error code(s): "10061", "*", "*". SQLSTATE=08001

--------------------------- is the ip of the machine I have informix on. The machine is called raven and I have the following in my services file

svc_raven 9088/tcp #ol_svr_raven
svc_drda 9089/tcp #svc_drda

Now I have DB2 installed on a similar machine and the above works perfectly for DB2 with absolutely no issues. Any help or advice as to why this doesn't work with Informix would be greatly appreciated as I am really keen to use it. Additionally if I install the ODBC driver for Informix from the client SDK then it connects no problem.

Thanks in advance