Question Unanswered: backup best practice

Hi,
    m using db2 v8.1 ESE on windows.
    can anyone tell me what is the best practise to take backups in db2.
    Its a production server so need to know if we need to stop any kind services before taking backup.
    if any ready scripts available, then plz let me know

Provided Answers: 11
    no scripts - there is no best practice
    take as many backup as you can effort
    I would recommend online daily backup and archive log files to tape or shared drive. check the book high availability guide in db2 books
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

It really depends on your environment. Personally, I don't do any backups - but that's because I have a development system only. If you have data that's important to you, you have to make the call between fast recovery and increased disk space usage (backup frequently) and slow recovery (backup less ofter and apply more logs in case of a restore).
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

In terms of the actual script that is considered “best practice,” it depends on whether you are taking offline or online backups. Offline are preferred if you have a scheduled maintenance window and you can disconnect all the connections (db2 force application all) while the backup takes place.

For online backups, make sure you use the "include logs" command.

If you submit a backup via the Control Center, you can look at the script with "show SQL" or "show script" (not sure which). This will give you a decent starting point.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

well m planning to take offline backup on a tape which is on another machine. while taking such backup how do i specify the path of where the tape is. plz let me the exact command if anyone knows.

Quote Originally Posted by nittal
    well m planning to take offline backup on a tape which is on another machine. while taking such backup how do i specify the path of where the tape is. plz let me the exact command if anyone knows.
    I don't think you can backup directly to a tape on another machine unless you have some software like TSM or Veritas backup, in which case you should consult the backup software vendor for details.

The easiest, fastest, and safest thing to do is to backup to disk using regular DB2 backup commands, then copy the file on disk to tape.
    M. A. Feldman

thanks marcus....i was expecting the same kind of straight and simple answer but are u sure that we need another software for the type of backup i am expecting.

well we use 'CA BrightStore' software. can this software help fulfill my requirement?
    If yes how we actually do that(Commands/ scripts/.....)?

I have never done a DB2 backup directly to tape, nor do I know anyone who has, mainly because it would take much longer than a backup to disk.

There are backup programs like TSM and others which will put the backup on tape, but it first goes to a disk staging area before it ends up on tape.

If you are using CA BrightStore, then I would check out the manuals for that product or call CA software support.

You would probably be better off just doing the DB2 backup to disk, then use the backup software to backup the image to tape, just like it would backup any other file. You may need to backup your log directories also.
    M. A. Feldman

ok marcus, thanks once again..