Unanswered: automation error

Hi,

I have a database with some VBA code, and all works well. This morning, my colleague complains that he gets an "automation error" when trying to open the database. On my machine, all works well.

When he tries to open the database, he gets this exact error: "Automation error. Incorrect inheritance depth in standard ole hmember". When clicking on debug, the cursor the sits in the VBA code at the line "option compare database", so at the very start!

The user says (of course) that nothing has changed on his machine, except for spybot which has automatically updated this morning.

I have been searching quite a bit, and the error can be found doing some google searching, but no real help is found anywhere.

access 2003 on winxp sp2

Any ideas?

Provided Answers: 1
    Has it ever worked on his machine? If not, does he have the same references as you?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Sometimes its as simple as making sure that no references are missing. Go into the VBA section and double check to make sure all the references are loaded.

Good luck, Stu
    --If its free, take it for what its worth!

Well, I fixed my problem. It started acting out on my machine as well (despite the fact that I had used it earlier today). What happened is, I closed it on my machine, opened it on the other machine, and then, I couldn't reopen it on my machine either.

So, I created a blank database, imported all tables, queries, forms and VBA code, and now it works like a charm again. Oh, I did try compact and repair before all this, and that did not solve the problem either.

To Teddy:
    Yes, it had worked on both machines without fail. This problem just started this morning.

To stuschmied:
    An interesting side question here. There are many, many references to chose from. How would you know *exactly* which ones you would need?

Summary:
    All works well now. It just drives me crazy how access can work fine one minute, and at the next occasion, you get the strangest errors without any apparent change. I was lucky this time that the import trick solved my issues, but in the past I've had other problems that did not get fixed like this, and then you are left cold and alone in a dark and scary place...

Missing ref

Hi,

It is hard for me to know which reference I may or may not need. I was referring to one that might be missing. If it was missing then 'MISSING...' would have been in the name of the reference in the list and it would have been obvious to you. Sometimes on different machines a reference has a newer or older version and the machine can't find it so I check for a similar one on that machine and use that.

:-)Stu
    --If its free, take it for what its worth!

Provided Answers: 1
    I'm wondering how big this database is... Multiuser?

You do elevate the risk of corruption by lrunning large databases or non-split multi user db's.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    I'm wondering how big this database is... Multiuser?

You do elevate the risk of corruption by lrunning large databases or non-split multi user db's.
    The database is not huge. The biggest local table has about 5,000 records. There is a linked table (to a postgres back end) that has far over 15M records, so that is large, but I figured that would be ok, as it is linked. There are about 30 other tables, most of them local, but they are all small.

There are 50 some queries
    There are about 10 forms, most of them with VBA code
    The total lines of VBA code is about 2,000

Sometimes there are 2 users active in it, mostly only 1. The access database sits on a server that has raid5 if that makes any difference.

Would this type of database be more prone to corruption? How would I reduce this risk?

Provided Answers: 2
    I saw this not long ago, on a machine running Access 2003 but shared with some people running 2000.
    For some reason, one of the references was flagged in the list as "MISSING" even though the list was also indicating the file path to the library in question! The way to resolve it was to kick everyone out of the database, deselect the "MISSING" reference on the 2003 machine, close the database, reopen it and reselect the reference.
    No idea how it happened, but the above worked twice for me on the same day!