Unanswered: Query Joins - subquery and counts

I have a query that I want to create in a new Access application that I am a bit stumped on. It will contain a main table with the item numbers, 3 tables where I need a count of the amount of times the item number appears, and a table with the item number and a second column with a value I need to pull in. I am trying to accomplish this in a single query and am fairly sure I will need the use of subqueries. My use of subqueries is growing but still fairly limited. I believe I know how to write the sbuquery to join one of the tables to the main but unsure of how to fit subsequent tables in. This is where I turn to our lovely community here, HELP! The table formats are below

Item (Primary Key, this is the field all other tables will need to join with)
    * Other fields that are irrelevant

Item (this is the field I would need to count)

Item (Primary Key)
    Excess (this is the field I would need to retrieve the value from)

To summarize I would need the data to appear as follows

Item __ In Hold __ In Prod __ In Inv __ Excess
    X __ 1__ 2 __ 5 __ 0
    Y __ 0 __ 4 __ 27 __ 3

Those are random numbers I just through in.

I need all items from tblItems displayed and a count of how many time each item appears in the Item field of the three kanban tables. Finally I need to pull the value of Excess from tblExcess for each item number.

Anybody otu there that can give a hand?

Allright everyone,

I wanted to let you know I think I solved the problem. Somehow it finally started to make sense until I came out with the following:

SELECT tblItems.Item, IIf(tblExcessOrdersInProduction.ExcessOrders Is Null,0,tblExcessOrdersInProduction.ExcessOrders) AS ExcessOrdersInProduction, Q2.KanbanInInv, Q3.KanbanInHold, Q4.KanbanInProduction
    FROM (((tblItems LEFT JOIN tblExcessOrdersInProduction ON tblItems.Item = tblExcessOrdersInProduction.Item) LEFT JOIN [SELECT tblItems.Item, Count(tblKanbanInInv.Item) AS KanbanInInv
    FROM tblItems LEFT JOIN tblKanbanInInv ON tblItems.Item = tblKanbanInInv.Item
    GROUP BY tblItems.Item]. AS Q2 ON tblItems.Item = Q2.Item) LEFT JOIN [SELECT tblItems.Item, Count(tblKanbanInHold.Item) AS KanbanInHold
    FROM tblItems LEFT JOIN tblKanbanInHold ON tblItems.Item = tblKanbanInHold.Item
    GROUP BY tblItems.Item]. AS Q3 ON tblItems.Item = Q3.Item) LEFT JOIN [SELECT tblItems.Item, Count(tblKanbanInProduction.Item) AS KanbanInProduction
    FROM tblItems LEFT JOIN tblKanbanInProduction ON tblItems.Item = tblKanbanInProduction.Item
    GROUP BY tblItems.Item]. AS Q4 ON tblItems.Item = Q4.Item;
    I hope that helps anyone else that runs into this.

Toronto, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestleSBA
    it finally started to make sense until
    until? LOL

thanks for the update

that's sure a lot of LEFT JOINing and GROUP BYing | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL