Unanswered: SQL Server DBA newbie

Hi Guys. Am not sure if i'm posting in the correct place. I just got an opportunity to be a DBA. I need to know what do i need to concentrate on and train myself on, in order to prepare for the role and be a good DBA. I would greatly appreciate your advise

Thanks
    Last edited by noks; 08-26-08 at 07:37.

Provided Answers: 6
    do you have a sql server to play with? if not download sql express or spend $50 and get a copy of the developers edition.

after that just start reading everything you can get your hands on including but not limited to SQL Server Books Online, Inside SQL Server books, websites (this one sqlperformance.com, sqlteam.com etc...) .

good luck. use test environments and make backups whenever possible.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

First and foremost, learn SQL, it will be needed whether you're developing code, SSIS, DTS, or doing pure server admin (sometimes you need a back door to the GUI based tools[sarc]) and as Thrasy says, Backups are the holy grail of DBA-hood.

Find out what your responsibilities are. "DBA"s can have a wide range (or sonmetimes very narrow) focus.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    Find out what your responsibilities are. "DBA"s can have a wide range (or sonmetimes very narrow) focus.
    Prime example, at Diageo, all I did were server installs (SQL and Oracle on WinNT), and scripted backup and maintenance routines, whether DOS Shell or UNIX Shell, there was no development whatsoever.

Now, I am at a hedge fund doing more development than admin, so the job of DBA can have a wide or narrow focus as PF says.
    Last edited by PMASchmed; 08-26-08 at 10:15.

I do have sql server 2005 to play with. I know the basics of sql, DML and DDL but never worked with huge databases. I've been trying to get soft copies for tutorial or anything i can use for the practical training but not succeeding

Thanks guys. I'll try the suggested site

Quote Originally Posted by PMASchmed
    Prime example, at Diageo, all I did were server installs (SQL and Oracle on WinNT), and scripted backup and maitenance routines, whether DOS Shell or UNIX Shell, there was no development whatsoever.

Now, I am at a hedge fund doing more development than admin, so the job of DBA can have a wide or narrow focus as PF says.
    mhhhhhhh interesting. I guess i'll have to ask for the spec as i went to the company for an interview for an application support post but through out their assessments they decided to take me on as a DBA

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by noks
    mhhhhhhh interesting. I guess i'll have to ask for the spec as i went to the company for an interview for an application support post but through out their assessments they decided to take me on as a DBA

Thanks guys

Larger companies will have you focus more on a specific area than a smaller company where you need to be more of a jack of all trades, it's very hard to find a happy medium. The guy I took over for here was a Java programmer acting as DBA.

Provided Answers: 6
    I dunno. Everyone expects me to know everything about everything everywhere I go. I try not to let them down too hard.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.