Unanswered: SQL Server Katmai Database Engine Problem

I would like to know has anyone else had this trouble and fixed it? I think this problems started after I installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 SP1; I seem to no longer be able to connect to 2008 database engine with Windows Authentication. Before I would just have to hit connect and it would connect. I tested to see if I could still connect to my "SQL Server Management Studio Express" and it was still in tact. But my "SQL Server Management Studio Katami" will no longer connect correctly. Note: I am on Vista Ultimate.

Thanks in advance

TITLE: Browse Server for Database
    ------------------------------

Failed to retrieve data for this request. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Enumerator Core)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdN...r&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo.UnSafeInternals.Management Util.EnterMonitor(System.Object) (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc.Enumerator Core)

It is a GUI issue. SP1 modifies SSMS, but is expecting the RTM release of the GUI. You are referencing Katmai, which is Beta release of SQL2K8. To fix this, you will need to uninstall both SP1 and Katmai, as well as VS2008 if you have it installed, and then install the 10.0.1600 build of SQL2K8. Then install VS2008, and then apply SP1 for it.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Thanks rdjabarov

Thank you rdjabarov. Basically, when I installed the SP1 it stopped my Katami from working? Could you tell where to uninstall the VS SP1 from? Would I just remove with the normal add/remove programs way?

Thanks again.

Just use Programs and Features to remove SP1. Make sure to restart the box once you remove it.

Removed and Reinstalled Help

I removed everything dealing with VS Studio and SQL Server 2008 Nov edition. Now I received this error:

TITLE: Connect to Server

Example:Cannot connect to JohnDoe-PC\John2009.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: -1)

Have you installed SQL2K8? Which version? If you uninstalled "everything related to SQL Server", then there is nothing to connect to. If, after uninstall, you installed SQL2K8 RTM (10.0.1600), and you're getting this error, - check the spelling (you don't have to worry about enabling remote connections, because you're connecting locally), and then check if the instance is running.

When I try to start the SQL Server(SHANG2009) in "Services", it won't start. Now I do know when I first installed it; it had "success" on everything but, this time it said failed on Database Engine, Analysis Services, Reporting Services. But when I rebooted my pc, the Analysis "service" started.

I removed everything that said, "SQL 2008", "Visual Studio 2008, and the VS SP1. Is there something that I needed to remove that didn't say 2008? Before I re-installed it. This is so baffling because it was so smooth the first time I installed it.

Note: I attached a doc with a screen shot of what I am talking about.

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 10.0.1075.23

((SQL_PreRelease).071108-1357 )

Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 2007.0100.1075.023
    ((SQL_PreRelease).071108-1357 )
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0.6001.18000
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.3053
    Operating System 6.0.6001
    Attached Files Attached Files

you need to uninstall EVERYTHING related to SQL Server, including SQLClient, Browser, Writer, AS, RS, and setup and support files. If you have any .NET framework with Beta in the name - uninstall that as well. Uninstall any beta of VS2K8 as well. Restart the computer before proceeding. Install RTM release of SQL2K8. This will install .NET 3.5 before going into SQL installation. If, however, you intend to install the beta, - the bets are off as to whether it is going to work or not. Every beta MS released for SQL2K and later was an expiring version, and expiration date is not specified anywhere, and there are no meaningful error messages that you can go by to determine if expiration is the reason for failure.

Talking Thanks again

I appreciate all your help.