Unanswered: Populating Reports

I am trying to track training at the company where I work. I have forms that are based on queries that are based on tables. That all seem to work pretty well. Now I need reports. So here is the problem and question. If I were to put every training topic, date of training and amount of time trained into every report then that report would be overwhelming. I am talking in excess of over 50 topices with their corresponding dates and times, basically over 150 fields would have to be on the report.

The good news is that no one would have anywhere close to the maximum amount of training. So I want to design a report that would only show those training topics that were trained on.

Essentially if an individual were to get training on professionalism/ethics then that date and times would be filled in and I would want that particular topic to show up on the report with the date and time as well. At the bottom of the report I want to show the total time trained on all topics as well.

I am using access 2003. Is there anyone that could help me out?

Thanks, Mike

Provided Answers: 6
    What is your table structure? It sounds like you may have made a design error, having each date/topic as fields in the same table. The proper design would have a record in a related table for each topic a person took. In that design, only topics taken would exist in the data.
    Paul

Provided Answers: 59
    in terms of tracking who has completed a training course it doesn't really matter what the training course is, all training courses from that perspective are the same

a course is comprised of elements
    a course may be assessed, or not
    a course may award a certificate
    a course may have a limited validity, or reuire a refresher
    a course may require attendance
    a course may have external elements (eg first aid)

So I wouldn't expect 50 topics to generate 150 fields

the key is using the power of the data engine to filter and manipulate your data. ferisntace you may require a report identifing trainign by person, by course, by date, by retraining/recertification date.

by changing the data structure to be indepenfdant of content (have a look at normalisation) the application should be able to handle as many types of trainign as you require. and if you must report in a spreadsheet form then you are limited by the size of your printer or size of your imagination... of course for a spreadsheet style report you could always cheat and dump the data into a spreadsheet and let the usr do whatever the heck they want using the spreadsheet print options.

but to work with what youve got would need more detail.. such as how are our tables designed?
    what report layout are you actually expecting

essentially the first step is extracting the data, then use the report designer to design the report, select an appropriate sot sequence and then nsert any group/page/report headers and footers as required.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Populating Reports

I will try to get out an example of this db today if possible. Possibly this evening. Thanks for the replys so far.
    Mike

Populating Reports

Here is an example of what I am trying to do. There are some notes in the example. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am not a VBA guru and sometimes need to be walked through stuff.

Thanks again
    Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Provided Answers: 6
    As suspected, your table design is the problem. You should not have separate tables for each year, and you should not have each class as a field. Review the normalization link that healdem gave you, and see if that clears it up for you.
    Paul