I have already install the mysql package to the debian includes

libdbd-mysql
    libmysqlclient
    mysql-client
    mysql-common
    mysql-server
    php4-mysql
    webmin-mysql

then I want to run "mysql" command to use as mysql client , but it pops "commond not found" , could advise what package that I should install so that I can run "mysql" ? thx

This might be a distribution-related question. Since MySQL is an "optional" application and not bundled with the Linux distribution (I assume all this because you installed it yourself I have never used Debian) it will not install to a directory in your PATH. (If you do not know what the PATH environment variable is, take a quick read on some of these pages. Then make sure that you set it correctly.)

For example, if MySQL installs to /usr/local/mysql (as it does on Mac OS X that I am familiar with), you want to add /usr/local/mysql/bin to your path.

For more help, I think that a Debian forum might be more appropriate. Another hint might be to have a look at the MySQL manual, in the section regarding installation on Linux.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by snorp
    This might be a distribution-related question. Since MySQL is an "optional" application and not bundled with the Linux distribution (I assume all this because you installed it yourself I have never used Debian) it will not install to a directory in your PATH. (If you do not know what the PATH environment variable is, take a quick read on some of these pages. Then make sure that you set it correctly.)

For example, if MySQL installs to /usr/local/mysql (as it does on Mac OS X that I am familiar with), you want to add /usr/local/mysql/bin to your path.

For more help, I think that a Debian forum might be more appropriate. Another hint might be to have a look at the MySQL manual, in the section regarding installation on Linux.

Hope this helps!
    thx reply,

I tried to use dpkg -S mysql | grep bin to find that the mysql is in /usr/bin , but when I run it , it pop no such file , can advise what is wrong ? thx

#dpkg -S mysql | grep bin

"
    mysql-client-4.1: /usr/bin/mysql
    mysql-client-4.1: /usr/bin/mysqladmin
    "

Well, it seems like you should be able to run /usr/bin/mysql. If you can't, see if you can find help in a Debian forum. This seems to be related to package installation in Debian and I don't think that this is the best place to get help with that.

Provided Answers: 59
    have you checked the error logs to see if there is a problem with the MySQL installation
    have you checked to make certain there were no installation problems
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton