Unanswered: using IN and LIKE in same expression

Hi

I have a list of the first part of a postcode in a databse, eg DE, LS etc

Code:
    SELECT column1 FROM table1
    WHERE (postcode IN(SELECT postcode from table2 where var1 = 'val1'))
    how ever this only selects exact matches from table2 and i need to match it against complete postcodes, eg DE12 3AA, i need to match postcode in table1 then use the wildcard. Might be easier if i show you my [non] logical way of thinking (i know this is wrog!):

Code:
    WHERE (postcode IN( LIKE (SELECT postcode from table2 where var1 = 'val1') + '%'))
    cheers

Provided Answers: 6
    i never use uncorreloated subqueries but does....
    Code:
    WHERE (postcode like (SELECT postcode + '%' from table2 where var1 = 'val1'))
    ...work?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 10
    Anything wrong with this?
    Code:
    SELECT *
    FROM   addresses
     INNER
      JOIN postcodes
        ON Left(addresses.postcode, 2) = postcodes.first_two_letters
    George
    Home | Blog

not sure. would LEFT scrub any index utilization?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    i never use uncorreloated subqueries but does....
    Code:
    WHERE (postcode like (SELECT postcode + '%' from table2 where var1 = 'val1'))
    ...work?
    Doesn't work becuase:

Code:
    SELECT postcode + '%' from table2 where var1 = 'val1
    ....returns more than one result as there are more than one postcodes retrieved. Thats why i was trying to use 'IN' somewhere..

cheers

please see the directions regarding posting questions at the top of this forum.

does this help.....
    WHERE (postcode IN(SELECT postcode from table2 where var1 LIKE 'val1%'))