Thread: install mysql

Unanswered: install mysql

When I install mysql4 to my debian server , it pop the dependences error , then I try to install it by apt-get -f install mysql*, apt-get upgrade mysql*, apt-get -f mysql*dist-upgrade mysql*, apt-get update , aptitude upgrade mysql* , but it still pop there is other dependences not installed , such as libc6-dev , then I tried to install this package , but it still pop the other package is not update , it also pop the coreutils is old version and asked to upgrade to newer version , but when upgrade the version of coreutils , it pop the dependence again , what I want to install is mysql4 server , client , can advise how can I install it without dependence problem ? thx

it seems that some packages MSYQL needs did not been installed in your OS, i did this before, at last i install mysql 5 from the source, cause when i make install, i can read the errors to know my OS needs what packages and install them, this will take some time.

Provided Answers: 59
    you are either going to have to install each and every dependency or consider getting a binary form the MySQL site.

Incidentally unless you need to use version 4 of MySQL I would instead choose to install Version 5 which is the current recommended stable release. If you are developing something which targets V4 then fine it makes sense to run the same version server as the production environment. otherwise use V5.

Not knowing much about the the Ubuntu distribution (the last Linux install I did was years ago on SUSE) it sonds like you are missing a whole raft of critical components. I never had that problem on SUSE, but hteat may have been because I'd set up that platform as development machine with all the various toolkits and widgets instaled. That and the SUSE installer seemed very capable of dectcting al dependencies in one pass. the only time I rememebr having problems was when I had to download a whole series of files that weren't part of the distribution, and tracing down those files was a pig.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    you are either going to have to install each and every dependency or consider getting a binary form the MySQL site.

Incidentally unless you need to use version 4 of MySQL I would instead choose to install Version 5 which is the current recommended stable release. If you are developing something which targets V4 then fine it makes sense to run the same version server as the production environment. otherwise use V5.

Not knowing much about the the Ubuntu distribution (the last Linux install I did was years ago on SUSE) it sonds like you are missing a whole raft of critical components. I never had that problem on SUSE, but hteat may have been because I'd set up that platform as development machine with all the various toolkits and widgets instaled. That and the SUSE installer seemed very capable of dectcting al dependencies in one pass. the only time I rememebr having problems was when I had to download a whole series of files that weren't part of the distribution, and tracing down those files was a pig.

I want to install mysql4 is becuase the db is version 4 ( from my old server ) , can advise if I have mysql5 installed in my server , can I use it to read the version 4 db ?

thx

Provided Answers: 59
    The last migration from V4 to V5 went easily enough, so I don't see why it should be a problem. the issue in my mind is more to do with develoing stuff using V5 features, which you then find are not supported in V4 (eg stored procedures).
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton