Unanswered: This graph isnít working for me!

I have created a table and a graph that shows the activity for 4 consultants over a period of time (06/07, 07/08 and YTD for 08/09)

I feel that the graph isnít a true reflection of the activity, because the first two financial years (06/07 and 07/08) are full complete years running from April to Mar. But for the last financial year 08/09, the data only runs from April through to August. So the graph I have drawn doesnít show this!

What would be the best way to graphically show this? I want to make clear that I am comparing complete with incomplete years data.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files

Howdy. I am not able to look at the data or graph, but could you add an additional column of data that would be YTD? Then you could overlap the data columns on the graph, and use color variations to achieve what you desire.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

Hi Shades,

thanks for the reply....

I don't understand when you say

"add an additional column of data that would be YTD? Then you could overlap the data columns on the graph, and use color variations to achieve what you desire."

Howdy. Perhaps the easiest is to provide links to a couple of sites that offer alternatives.

Excel User by Charley Kyd. I have worked with his material (he does corporate training) and spoken to him on the phone a couple of times about issues. His site is superb and well worth examining. For this project see about half way down the article about "Create bullet graphs". His entire site is worth exploring and learning.

Jon Peltier offers extensive help in charting. I think one or two of these might be what you need.

I wish I had access to Excel to help you - I would put together a sample, if possible. But alas, that is not.

HTH
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

Provided Answers: 2
    I don't think that you can achieve what you want with the data in this format.
    As I see it, there's nothing wrong with the graph in the file. The users just have to be aware that financial year 2008/09 isn't over yet, and so the third column for each consultant will continue to change until April 2009.
    To show a more realistic picture, you'd need the totals broken down by consultant and month rather than consultant and year. That way, the columns in the graph would have monthly figures, and so it would be clearer to people that the current year was not yet complete. Of course, you'd also have 30 columns per consultant, instead of three!