Thread: Record Archive

Unanswered: Record Archive

In databasedev.com (http://www.databasedev.co.uk/automat...s_archive.html) I found a page called “Automating Archiving Records” and it suits exactly for a plan I have in mind, but the problem is that I can’t follow. In the database sample I downloaded there are 2 tables named ‘Student Information’ and ‘Expired Students’. The tables data type and fieldname are identically the same of both and among the information there is “date enrolled”. When the date of ‘date enrolled’ of the ‘Student Information’ table is overdue, the command “run Archive” will delete the record from ‘Student Information’ table and transfer it to ‘Expired Students’

I want to run similar but in a form named Orders (take Northwind Orders form for example). How can I use the databasedev.com Automating Archiving Records example to transfer a selected record from the Form ‘Order’ into the Form “Deleted Orders’? ‘Run Archive’ button will make the transfer when a user enables “Closed” check box found in the from ‘Orders’

Please is it possible to enlighen me how can i do this?

Thanks guys for your time

Provided Answers: 6
    I'm not generally a fan of archiving records; they should stay in one table so you can easily query any record. That said, I have implemented it in special circumstances. If yours is one, the general process is to append the record to the archive table and then delete it from the main table. Therefore, behind your button you execute 2 queries, an append and a delete. Each would have the same WHERE clause, which would be specific to your needs. It sounds like in the sample database it's something like:

WHERE DateField < Forms!FormName.DateInputControl

If you're wanting to archive that specific record, it might look like:

WHERE IDField = Forms!FormName.IDFieldControl
    Paul

I agree with Paul that I'm also not generally a fan of archiving records and would only really see a need if the recordset size became unmanagable for MSAccess tables (and the coding techniques used could not be changed to accomodate the extremely large recordset size.) In which, the query process of doing it would be like Paul stated.

I have done an "archiving-type" process where deleted records were tracked in another table and that worked fairly well.

The big question is, why do you see a need to do an archiving process? If for example, it's because the forms are loading slower and slower, I think you're using the wrong approach and instead need to look at the way the forms are designed (and perhaps go to unbound forms.) If the queries are running slower and slower, you may need to look at your table structure instead and try to find ways to eliminate the need of relational tables in queries, do some indexing, or perhaps even utilize temp tables to do certain calculation sums.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Woa, i didnt know all about this and i will cancle what i had in mind, but in the matter of fact i came with another idea.Immagine i have a record in the Orders Form and the client named Peter paid the amount due. I can press delete and remove the record from the database but i dont wish to do so. I need to have a button in my Form that when i press it, Peter's record data fields get blocked and are not enabled for further edit. Is this hard to show me how i do it guys? Thanks million for your time

Provided Answers: 6
    Rather than a button, you could have a field in the data that indicated this. Presumably a Yes/No field represented by a checkbox on the form. Then in the form current event and the checkbox after update event:

Me.AllowEdits = Not Me.CheckBoxName

which presumes the box being checked means the record should not be edited.
    Paul

I also like put in this (what I name: cmdDelete button) when a user clicks this button to delete the record:

(note: this is Access 2007 code for the delete code)

Private Sub cmdDelete_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_cmdDelete_Click

Dim QI as integer
    QI = msgbox("Are you sure you want to delete this record?",vbyesno)
    if QI = vbyes then

docmd.setwarnings false
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSelectRecord
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdDeleteRecord
    docmd.setwarnings true (Note: make SURE this is in the code!)

Exit_cmdDelete_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_cmdDelete_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_cmdDelete_Click

End Sub

or for (non-Access 2007 code)

On Error GoTo Err_cmdDelete_Click

Dim QI as integer
    QI = msgbox("Are you sure you want to delete this record?",vbyesno)
    if QI = vbyes then

docmd.setwarnings false
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 8, , acMenuVer70
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 6, , acMenuVer70
    docmd.setwarnings true (Note: make SURE this is in the code!)

Exit_cmdDelete_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_cmdDelete_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_cmdDelete_Click

End Sub

or if you needed to open the recordset and do some kind of testing on a value before deleting (note: this is ADO coding)...

Dim QI As Integer
    QI = MsgBox("Are you sure you want to delete this record?", vbYesNo)
    If QI = 6 Then
    Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset
    Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
    Dim strSQL As String
    strSQL = "Select * from MyTable where IDField = " & Me!IDField & ""
    rs.Open strSQL, CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic
    if rs!SomeField = "SomeValue" then (or whatever testing on whatever field you do here)
    msgbox "Record could not be deleted because " & rs!SomeField & " is equal to SomeValue"
    rs.close
    set rs = nothing
    else
    rs.Delete
    rs.Close
    Set rs = Nothing
    MsgBox ("Record Deleted!")
    me.requery (<- to requery the records on the form)
    End If
    End if

End Sub
    Last edited by pkstormy; 09-06-08 at 00:01.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Consider thread closed! I did it also. Thanks guys...