Unanswered: Error during Backup DB - need urgent help!

Hi,

I have a problem backing up DB to a tape unit. I got an error message as below:

Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: HY000)
    I/O error 2(error not found) detected during write of BUF pointer = 0x54ef41c, page ptr = 0x33bb4000, pageid = (0x1:0x1bedb0), dbid = 10, status = 0xb, file = f:\db_powererv\wv_distdata.mdf.

Currently, the server is running Windows 2000 Server with SQL 7.0

Can someone help?

Thanks...

Provided Answers: 6
    are you able to backup to disk and then copy to your tape device?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Nope. Once started the backup process (either backup to Tape or Disk), the error message came up after a minute.

Additional information.
    After rebooting the server, that error message was gone. However, once the backup process runs about half way, I got a new error message:

SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)
    Nonrecoverable I/O error on file xxxx.mdf. Backup or restore operation terminating abnormally.

This happens when I tried to backup to a tape device.

Try backing up to disk first and then copy the backup to Tape.

SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)
    Nonrecoverable I/O error on file xxxx.mdf. Backup or restore operation terminating abnormally.
    I'm not likeing that error message. Do you regularly run DBCC CHECKDB? If so, when was the last time you ran it?

If not, better start reading.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Now, I can't even backup to Disk or Database. Once I restarted the server, the DB becomes "Suspect". What I can do was to restore from previous backup. However, I have done it 3 times. And everytime I does it, I won't be able to backup (after using an application to input data). I used to run DBCC CHECKDB, but I got an error and the command stopped.

Do you guys think it's a problem with physically hard disk? However, I have 2 more DBs in the same disk but they are working fine at the moment.

Why dont you try restoring the backup in dev/test environment and see if it is working fine.
    Restore should fail in a minute if there are any errors in the file, anyway check this: RESTORE FILELISTONLY dbname
    Or else it can be some corrupt in the file/drive/hardware etc.