Unanswered: Sysbase server report "not enough 'user connections' available" warning

Hi everyone,

Recently, I found I can't read some data from my Sysbase server. And there is a warning in my Sysbse server, plplease refer to the error info below:

Error: 1601, Severity: 17, State: 3 There are not enough 'user connections' available to start a new process. Retry when there are fewer active users, or ask your System Administrator to reconfigure ASE with more user connections.

Does it caused that I can't read data from that server? Does it mean that I have to enlarge the user connections in this server? My server is "Adaptive Server Enterprise Developer Edition", It doesn't allow me to increase it more than 25.

Could you tell me which edition Sysbase server have no this limitation, can I upgrade it for my current developer edition to that edition?

Thanks
    Winnie

Provided Answers: 4
    Only the developeredition has this limitation as far as I know. Any other paid-for version is limitless.

If you try to read data and use workerprocesses for that, a new workerprocess counts as a new user connection. If you already are using all 25 userconnection, try to use less, or disconnect a few sessions you aren't using.
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!

Thanks for your reply Martijnvs
    I just want to create a SQL Server Analysis Service Database, which the use the Sysbase datasource, I got the error when I want to process a Database. I don't know how it works when it do process action, but seems that 25 connections is not enough. Maybe the server was call by other client at the same time.

BTW, Can I install the paid-for version on my current developer edition Sysbase server directly? I mean I have set up a relation database on developer edition, I hope this database can be connected by the paid-for edition server.... I'm not familiar with Sybase......

Thanks
    Winnie

Provided Answers: 4
    Try to see how many processes are already active when you get the error. The processlist might show you where the connections come from. Your active connection should not and cannot be solely responsible for the error.

I'm not sure, but I think it's best to de-install the developeredition and install the bought one, with proper licence. You could save a dump of your userdatabases and load them back in the licenced server.
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!

Quote Originally Posted by winniewang
    BTW, Can I install the paid-for version on my current developer edition Sysbase server directly? I mean I have set up a relation database on developer edition, I hope this database can be connected by the paid-for edition server.... I'm not familiar with Sybase......

Thanks
    Winnie
    Its completely possible. The binaries are the same. The license is controlled by SYSAM (license software). Once you get the key, enter that into SYSAM license and restart. You can get the full instructions from

http://sybooks.sybase.com/nav/summar...27&Submit.y=13

In developer edition it is not possible to increase the number of user connections more than 25 ..

Quote Originally Posted by niranjan555
    In developer edition it is not possible to increase the number of user connections more than 25 ..
    Its possible if you get the appropriate license key and stick it in SYSAM.

Quote Originally Posted by winniewang View Post
    Hi everyone,

Recently, I found I can't read some data from my Sysbase server. And there is a warning in my Sysbse server, plplease refer to the error info below:

Error: 1601, Severity: 17, State: 3 There are not enough 'user connections' available to start a new process. Retry when there are fewer active users, or ask your System Administrator to reconfigure ASE with more user connections.

Does it caused that I can't read data from that server? Does it mean that I have to enlarge the user connections in this server? My server is "Adaptive Server Enterprise Developer Edition", It doesn't allow me to increase it more than 25.

Could you tell me which edition Sysbase server have no this limitation, can I upgrade it for my current developer edition to that edition?

Thanks
    Winnie

1.check sybase 'number of user connections'
    >sp_configure 'number of user connections'
    Parameter Name Default Memory Used Config Value Run Value Unit Type

-------------- ------- ----------- ------------ --------- ---- ----

number of user connections 25 2372 25 25 number dynamic
    2.alter 'number of user connections'
    >sp_configure 'number of user connections',200

OK! good luck!

Provided Answers: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by yxljch11 View Post
    2.alter 'number of user connections'
    >sp_configure 'number of user connections',200
    NO. Read carefully his initial post: he has Sybase ASE Developer Edition.
    Florin Aparaschivei
    DB2 9.7, 10.5 on Windows
    Iasi, Romania