Unanswered: IMS to DB2 Conversion - Help needed

I am working on an hiearchial IMS database. I am working on developing a strategy to convert IMS database to Relational Db2 database on mainframes. We have huge database in our system, number of applications are using the same database, so if we go by pure conversion, it would take lots of money and time, so we started thinging about doing something which prevent changing the existing programs. We are thinkg of an idea of writing interface program between Db2 and existing programs. The whole idea is not to change any program but writing out an intermediate interface program which actually simulates the IMS call over Db2. For example, all GN calls on IMS can be easily replaced by simple SQL select statements

At this point of time, I am not very sure of feasiblity, probably I am not thinking rationally, so I just wanted to know your views about the idea.

I am assuming that all segments of the IMS DB can be converted into a corresponding Db2 tables

Please let me know your thoughts and any documents with examples.

I would try and find a vendor that has a product to do this (either a product to convert the application or to act as an intermediary between the IMS code and DB2).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Thank you very much. I will be waiting for your inputs.

there is a product out there, called DL2. It's packaged by Circle Software.