Unanswered: "Invalid Procedure Call" Error

I've been using the following statement in the expression builder of a select query for a year or so, but now I receive the error message "Invalid Procedure Call" upon execution.

JobTitle: Left([HR_TABLE]![JOB_CODE_DESCR],InStr([HR_TABLE]![JOB_CODE_DESCR],",")-1)

I'm trying to parse text strings like "Project Manager,VP" and "Finance Manager,VP" contained in JOB_CODE_DESCR. The desired result being "Project Manager" and "Finance Manager".

Neither my OS (Windows XP Pro) nor my version of Access (2003 SP3) have recently changed but I know receive the above error message. It does work when I change the -1 to 0, however, I'm still left with the comma.

I'm uncertain why this stopped working/of a successful work-around?

Provided Answers: 1
    do you have any fields that start with a comma?

It's going to complain about trying to return -1 characters of a 1 character string where the 0th position has a comma.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Question Zero length string?

Prob a zero length string in the data?

JobTitle: Left([HR_TABLE]![JOB_CODE_DESCR],InStr([HR_TABLE]![JOB_CODE_DESCR],",")-1)

If they all end consistantly with ",VP":-

JobTitle: Replace([HR_TABLE]![JOB_CODE_DESCR],",VP","")

Should do it?
    Windows Server 2003-8 / Terminal Services / SQL 2000 / Access 2003 / Office 2003-7 / Exchange 2003-7 / Blackberry Enterprise Server / AutoCAD / Lambert And Butler / Red Bull

I neglected to mention, there's only one comma in each of the text strings. Some don't have any. I need to return only the text to the left of the comma when one exists. The text to the right of the comma will vary.

Examples of current text strings:
    Project Manager,VP
    Admin Assistant,Assc2
    Client Service Mgr,VP
    Vendor
    Service Desk Mgr,Off

Desired text string returned:
    Project Manager
    Admin Assistant
    Client Service Mgr
    Vendor
    Service Desk Mgr

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB
    I neglected to mention, there's only one comma in each of the text strings. Some don't have any. I need to return only the text to the left of the comma when one exists. The text to the right of the comma will vary.
    Well there's your problem...

I wish it was that easy. However, the data (text strings) has not changed and this statement worked for well over a year. Additionally, I eliminated all the text strings without a comma and re-ran - received the same error.

Run ONLY the InStr() and make sure you get all positive integer values. Anything that returns 1 or less is going to cause an error.

Point taken - thank you. There were a couple records I missed without a comma (=0). So, using an If/then to cull out the text strings without a comma first, and then truncate/parse the remaining text strings is the answer. Thanks again for your time.