Unanswered: Graphs in Access Forms

Hello all,

I'm in the early stages of designing a new application from scratch. I'm thinking of having the main switchboard form include some graphs that show position relative to a goal (you know, like a dashboard). How feasible would this be? Can a query/report PivotTable be embedded into a form, or could I embed an Excel graph and update its data source programatically? Or something else entirely?

It's not an essential feature, but it would be a nice touch. However, if it's significantly beyond the ability of an intermediate user like myself to implement, then I'll drop the idea. Thanks,

J

Provided Answers: 8
    not easy but can be done MSaccess user the excel Graph combonent
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

Provided Answers: 59
    depends on how much is data there is to display, how 'pretty' the graph is or needs to be.

yu could try a set or progress bars (either the inbuilt control or roll your own simplified resource light version)
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Progress bars might work. I was just going to use a horizontal composite bar graph anyway, with three categories. It would be nice to display the underlying data as well, so the users could see the graph and also see the actual metric.

Healdem, there's a built-in progress bar control in Access?

J

Edit: If it matters, I need a few different colors as well. Each category at least needs a red bar and a green bar.

Provided Answers: 59
    there is a progress bar, but even if your installation doesn't have it you can fake a progress bar by drawing a rectangle and setting a suitable backcolour.

to be honest Im nto certain if all versions have progress bars, I use a mix of Vb, VB.Net & office apps..... so theres a ratbag of activex controls here whose origin is unknown.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

So if I went the Excel route, what would the process be? If I just pasted it in as an OLE object, it would only refresh when the source file was refreshed (right?). So what if I wanted it to graph in real time? Thanks,

J

Edit: Or could I build my own ActiveX control to do the job?

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I've come upon a stupid-simple solution that might be helpful to anyone else needing a chart in their forms, courtesy of Microsoft's template databases (who'da thunk it?). Simply create a subform with the recordset required for your chart, and set its default view to PivotChart view. You can then embed the subform wherever you need a chart to appear in your application. This is much easier than creating a Microsoft Graph object and trying to manipulate it through code (or trying to automate Excel for the same task).

J