Post Unanswered: .NET and SQL Server

I have a .NET application that connects to a SQL Server 2005 database like this:

I have a connection string defined in the App.config/Web.config file:

<add name="mainDatabase" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" connectionString="Server=(local);Database=SomeData baseName;Trusted_Connection=yes;Connect Timeout=0"/>

And in code, I do this:

SqlConnection dbConnection = new SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrin gs["mainDatabase"].ConnectionString);

This works great, however I have an important client who says we must use "Native OLE DB / SQL Native Client" and NOT ".net providers\SqlClient Data Provider".

A) What is the difference?
    B) How do I do that? I assume I have to change the provider name. Does that mean that I can no longer use SqlConnection/SqlCommand and the regular ADO.NET classes?

Did they say why?

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

They said "We do not support .net providers on managed installations."

I don't understand why they don't support .NET providers but it probably wouldn't be wise to push the issue.

Some IT groups have oddball rules or security policies or ways of running their servers. They clearly know the issue and know exactly what they want.

Anyway, does anyone know how I can satisfy their request?

Nevermind. Figured it out. They were just reading Microsoft best practices for Analysis Services Data Sources:

"Do use only supported OLEDB providers in a Data Source"

They don't care about using the .NET provider in our .NET application (now that would have been a big pain to satisfy). Just a miscommunication. Thanks Brett.