Unanswered: General Questing on SQL Server Development

Hi,

I'm just wondering where you see the line between DB administering and DB development.

Does development start with building an external application linked to a db or does it cover such basic stuff as creating tables / stored procedures / triggers?

I'd like to hear your views.

Thanks,
    Peter

There's always blurring between DBAs and Devs. Depends on your shop.

BTW - the two things you mention there really differentiate front end and back end development IMO.

Here, the SQL developers would create the DB objects but the DBA, once approved, deploys them to production.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Thanks for the reply PF.

I'm job hunting at the moment and I just wanted to be clear as to whether I could claim to be a database developer. But I've plenty of experience:

creating tables / views / sp's / functions
    designing database structure
    upsizing db's from access

What I was concerned about was that in order to classed a Sql Server Developer one would have to know how to create bespoke applications in Visual Studio or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterOC
    Does development start with building an external application linked to a db
    only if it's a pre-existing database and a new application needs to "re-purpose" it

otherwise, development starts with designing the database

typically, the application developers do that, and bring in the DBA to help transition the logical model to a physical model (it would be at that point, for example, that surrogate keys are introduced, and not in logical design)
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Quote Originally Posted by PeterOC
    What I was concerned about was that in order to classed a Sql Server Developer one would have to know how to create bespoke applications in Visual Studio or similar.
    Depends on the size of the shop\ project. If large enough, people will be dedicated to more specific tasks\ technologies. Database Developers should predominantly (if not exclusively) be developing databases.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 6
    good dogs usually know more than one trick.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Thanks for the replies guys. That's cleared it up for me.